Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello all, I'm affraid I'm not the first one. Me and two other friends sailed on my TI and AI for a couple of days. Overall we had a great time and enjoyed our trip, but despite other issues that happen in our trip, THE BOTTOM SCREW OF TI'S RUDDER BROKE. By that time we were sailing downwind between 8-9 knots. We tried to remove the piece inside the kayak by cutting a line and unscrew it, but it was impossible. Finally, we seek for support and We manage to do it with a driller, but then I was confident to replace the screw, but THERE'S NO RUDDER SCREW IN THE HOBIE RIGGING KIT, so we had to cut one manually. This is the vid showing everything that happen that day

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWJT1ALaZpY[/youtube]

Post subject: Rudder bolt breakage?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cavendish62's rudder bolt looked like a clean break. When I replaced my TIs rudder, I removed the rudder bolts and treated them with 'Locktite'. Those bolts appeared to be pretty robust. I would have expected the plastic of the rudder to pull apart before the steel bolt. I wonder if the bolt was defective from the factory?
That was the one bolt I never thought I would have to carry a spare.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

We have seen a couple of these. May have been a little loose or just from the constant back and forth loads.

We changed the material.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
We changed the material.

Matt,
More details please. :roll:
Upgraded part #'s? Available down under yet? I've just fitted the upgraded mast/V-brace socket screw. Is this a similar improvement?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi stringy
Can you use less rolling eyes smilies in your posts please. I can only assume that you either don't understand what it means or you are permanently annoyed at Hobie.
cheers
just

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry for the confusion just but this is what I take 'rolling eyes' to mean:
"An expression of dismay or exasperation".
I use it in the context of 'here we go again' having to chase up upgraded parts which often take a while to get downunder. It took about 4 months to receive the upgraded TI mast tube/V brace socket screw. I am certainly not annoyed at Hobie who are to be commended for improving their product and grateful to Matt for keeping us notified of these upgrades.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Me too Just... :roll:

Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Apparantly 6 posts makes you a hall monitor. :roll:

Here's another guy with new rudder problems: :roll:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXMiYWvjkhA&feature=uploademail[/youtube]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:21 am 
Site Admin

I would be interested to find out if this was an upgrade rudder installed by a dealer?

He confuses "lock nut" with "Loc Tite" a few times.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:25 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
More details please.
Upgraded part #'s? Available down under yet?

Not yet available. This is really new information. As a precaution, we are trying to source new screws made from the same material as the V brace screw (17-4 I believe). These are not off-the-shelf parts. They would be custom. Currently we are making custom bolts with a V brace screw and a nut jammed on as a head.

Just be sure your screws are tight. I think a loose screw may be the cause of failures. Especially after watching this users video.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Madwand wrote:
Apparantly 6 posts makes you a hall monitor.

At least it's given you something else to complain about :wink: . I find stringy's use of the eye roll amusing more than anything (and sure a little annoying). I monitor issues like this one and others with interest and I then check my TI accordingly, my first reaction after a few posts/threads isn't "there's a major problem! Is there a new part? Why isn't there a new part in Australia yet!" :P . We are pretty lucky that the forum is available to let us know about these problems as they occur and to keep an eye out for them and possibly prevent them. Anyway I'll be sure to keep my contribution to a minimum since my post count concerns you so much. :roll: :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Humour is as good as mothers' milk for you Just so please don't quit your posts.. :? :shock: ...Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Had I not read this post I would not have noticed the new parts.

Matt:

I am wondering if we ("As registered AI/TI owners) could get an email or even better a way for Hobie to let us subscribe to an "Official" newsletter or even a quarterly email that would inform us such changes and other news related to our AI/TI boats.

I am not expecting free parts - but if I know about the parts - then I could decide whether or not I want to replace these parts.

Heck - maybe something like this exists and I missed that too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I read both Hobie Forums every couple of days...I do not remember seeing anything about the V-Brace Screw replacement? If so, the mention (notice) must have been short-lived. I own a 2010 TI.
Were TI owners supposed to replace the V-Brace Screw (bolt)? My dealer has never mentioned a 'problem' with the screw.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:16 am 
Site Admin

Would make sense to inform registered users about issues as we do dealers. We do try to contact owners in cases that are considered serious. Emailing and newsletters are something we are working on, but have not yet implemented.

The V brace screw issue was discussed here but not presented to dealers. It is not a wide ranging issue. Just a hand full of reports after two years of TI production. Likely a loose screw is the primary cause.

We and our dealers are not as sophisticated as car dealers with automated systems for tracking customers and issues. Many dealers simply do not retain purchaser information. Most owners never register the product in our system. Hobie is only one of hundreds of products dealers would carry, so getting their attention is difficult. We have to choose our "battles"... trying to inform them with too much info is lost in the haze.

That is why I like the forums. It is a great way to get gather info and get corrective information out to owners direct.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)