Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ahoy and greetings to all,
After many hours of reading and lurking around this is my first post.... so I thought I would introduce myself and ask a question. Lostsailor here. My first mate and I are proud owners of 2009 Outbacks and for the last two years we have used and rigged our boats for fishing here on the Crystal Coast of NC. Recently we installed sail kits along with sidekicks with the intention of exploring the barrier islands that are separated from the mainland by calm creeks and shallow bays. These places are rich estuary zones where the land ends and the Atlantic Ocean begins. A place where fish breed and shore birds fly, this is truly an angler’s paradise. Today was our first day out using the sidekicks on a building breeze ranging from 4 up to 16 mph. The Outback and sail kit performed flawlessly. I have been a sailor for many years and had to keep reminded myself this is not a sailboat but a kayak with a sail simply stated I was impressed with the set up. The problem I have is with the sidekick placement. Following the recommendation on the instructions I installed them directly aft of the seat…. BUT… I could not perform a good (comfortable) paddle stroke without hitting the ama. My question follows: Does anyone have suggestions to an alternate placement of the sidekicks which would allow a full paddle stroke when the wind dies down and the water gets too thin to peddle my Outback?
Thanks to all for making this an informative and fun forum which beyond doubt I have enjoyed. Cheers !!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome to the forum LS I've sailed an Outback for a while but not with outriggers. I found over 10knots of breeze you need to pay close attention especially if it's gusty, I have sailed one in 15knots a couple of times and it was very testing. I've tipped over a couple of times but got up again OK. Re paddling I suggest using T head acssesory on 1/2 your paddle as a better option than a double ended jobby. I sail an AI these days but still use an Outback sometimes for fishing, great boat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Remember, in shallow water you can feather the Mirage Drive fins and continue using the drive for propulsion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went through the same process two months ago when installing the sidekicks on my Revo 13. I ended up installing it about in the middle of the aft storage deck. I tried to make it fit just forward of the mirage drive and aft of the mast mount but there was not quite enough room.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dave W , T handles have been ordered and I will give them a try. The sailing I have done so far has been so much fun that I do see an AI in my future, probably next spring. I will then continue to use the Outback for fishing and as a loaner for friends to go out for sail. Tom K , brought up a very good point in remembering to feathering the Mirage drive in shallow water. It took me several months of use before I realized I could do this and now use this technique often while fishing the skinny water around home for red drum. Mark later this week I will try the alternate location that you have suggested. I am hoping forward of the drive and aft of the mast will work. This will allow me to keep the gear well clear just in case I ever wanted to take the live well along while sailing.

Once again thanks to all. What a great forum this is!

Best regards