Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I got a used H17 late this summer and have no previous experience with Hobies at all. I went out twice, but end out spending lots of time on rigging.

Now, I would like to optimize time from the trailer to water and would appreciate tips and tricks, including all the
small details. I will be doing all the rigging pretty much solo, wife is not very mechanical. I am using Mast Stepper II to rise mast, which works fine. Talking about rising mast, I found a major safety issue with this one. Second time was rising mast, and before I got mast stepper, tramp started to crack under my feet while I was keeping mast stable. Then, wife got stuck struggling to attach bridle wires with split rings. Not fun. Got the tramp replaced since. Then it turned out you need not to trim your fingernails before you go sailing...

I wondering if anyone got good experience with "Convenience Parts" Hobie sells. This includes a set of quick release pins, etc. Are the as realable as clevis pins?

Appreciate help.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The more you sail, the more routine the rigging process will become and the faster you'll get at it. The 17 is actually one of the faster Hobies to rig.

You can leave the rudders on the boat to save a substantial amount of time (some folks remove them for trailering).

Using quick pins for the tiller extension, mainsheet blocks, and clew attachent will shave off a minute or two.

If you don't need to use the mast stepper, it will save you a lot of time just raising the mast by hand. If you're raising the mast solo, you can use the main halyard to hold the mast up when you jump down and attach the bridle wires.

Again, just use the boat more. It'll all become second nature in a little while.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a hook for the down haul so you don't need to unshackle/shackle it. Looks like a number 1 with the base a ring not the flat base. You need to make sure the hook twists the correct way. http://www.suncorstainless.com/downhaul-hook

The out haul has a quick snap shackle so you don't have to unscrew standard ones.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On a good day I can rig or de-rig solo in 40 minutes (thats pull up to cast off) to rig my H17Sport. But if not in a hurry it can take an hour for each. I try to leave as much as possible attached to the boat (center boards, rudders, front spreader bar, shrouds). I double bungee everything to be on the safe side. I use 5 quick pins (tiller extension, jib sheet blocks, both main blocks and the lower forestay (though I back this up with a pin and ring). I use a 4 point hull tie down with quick release flip handles. :wink: