Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sleeping on board
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

zornzorro - with your tent idea, how do you deal with the bedding problem??
Chris's setup offers a very comfortable and dry bed :roll:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi mickeymouse,

I´ll have to try it out - thought of connecting the to tramps with another piece of tramp or something similar or simply putting a big waterproof bag (Ortlieb Big Zip) with clothes and other "softer" stuff into the cockpit. Then I will use a 10 cm thick mat beneath or inside the tent, if the mat is beneath the tent, I will use an additional thinner mat inside the tent.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Maybe you could cover the Cockpit-gap with something like this table.http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/detail.php?mod_nr=101758&GTID=26327dbacb6d66c15c3888c17570aa29a32
Small, lightweight, and a good thing to have while camping on land. This one might be a bit small, but there are different sizes available...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@Hollgi:

Good idea - and the best thing is: Exactly this table is already part of my outdoor equipment :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

zornzorro wrote:
@Hollgi:

Good idea - and the best thing is: Exactly this table is already part of my outdoor equipment :)

zornzorro - I would be interested in seeing photos of your sleeping setup when you try it out - looks like the legs of the table would straddle the cockpit and the feet might add some security from movement. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hollgi wrote:
Maybe you could cover the Cockpit-gap with something like this table.http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/detail.php?mod_nr=101758&GTID=26327dbacb6d66c15c3888c17570aa29a32
Small, lightweight, and a good thing to have while camping on land. This one might be a bit small, but there are different sizes available...

hollgi - is there an ozi site for this?? Germany is a bit far away to get one :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Maclean Outdoors might have them, but I don't have a link to this product. But I have seen them in several places and they are around. In the US they sold under a different brand name. Just search under GSI folding tables ( micro / makro ) and you'll find. There are at least 2 sizes available.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Today I´ve got the Vaude Bivi II, a new design for 2010. It fits the AI perfectly, if you place it diagonal on the tramps. There are two doors at each side of the tent, also moskito net on each side.

To fix the tent on the tramps, you need only 2 points, but you can use a lot more, to give at a slightly better shape. On both sides you can use the outer door to set up an awning.

Everything can remain in place (mast, seat), but if you think your anchorage is not the best, just untie one side of the tent and put it completely onto one of the tramps, so you can pedal or sail to another anchorage.

Pictures: http://gallery.me.com/docslaw#100071&view=grid&sel=2

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been following this thread with interest, but as I own a getaway I have a differant set of problems. But the ideas is a sound one, I could even rig one on each side of the boat! Hummm have to have a closer look.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

early in the post i had posted a website for
[url]tentcot.com[/url]
did anyone try that set up?
it looks fairly easy to set up, can go across from both trampolines, and is elevated incase the water gets on the tramps, and could probably leave the mast up.

im a fan of the adventure island and im saving up to buy it for christmas or next summer...
would like to hear thoughts on this setup.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I own one of those and, while my AI has not arrived yet, I have to say that it would not be something you would want to carry on board. It is big, bulky and heavy. I bought mine for a similar application, only to put on a small sailboat. That boat was big compared to an AI and it was just too much. I went with sleeping on the floor of the boat and using a boom tent.

I've been reading this thread and appreciate the ingenuity, but I think that I will plan on being able to find some dry ground to pitch a tent on. In my neck of the woods I should be able manage that, though it sounds like some folks here have no choice but to sleep on board.

Ted

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sorry, I was referring to the TentCot in above post.

Actually, the bivi mentioned by Zornzorro looks like a very nice option. Those things pack small and light and can be used on the boat or the ground. When! my boat gets here I'll have to try an old bivi I have stashed away and see how that works. There is a location I sail to with friends twice a year that does not allow beach camping. It would be nice to be able to hang there with friends and retire to the boat, rather than have to relocate farther away.

It would nice to hear how some of these setups worked under live conditions.

Ted

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Folks,
Ordered my TI and can't wait to get home and try it out Nov 2nd. Plan on doing some camping (like I haven't done that enough in SW AFG) and was curious on the current consensus on setting up a hammock tent onboard. I've owned a Clark Jungle Hammock for years and truly love it for easy set up onshore. Any problems with stressing the components of the boat using the set up with the PVC pipes? Love to hear from you fellow kayak campers. Thanks, TonyB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The crossbars are the only components of the boat that bear any substantial weight using a hammock and PVC pipes. The crossbars on my AI seem to handle it easily. On advice from Roadrunner, I stopped tethering the ridgeline of my hammock to the front and rear padeyes and instead looped it under either end of the hull. (See page 4 of this thread).
You might like to glue a bit of rubber membrane to the PVC fittings where they rest on the crossbars, to protect the paint, as NOHUHU has done with his benches.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would recommend using a paddle line to double-secure the Mirage drive when using it as a counter-weight for the A-frame. A second line will prevent loss of the drive...bad if you're miles from home and quite an expensive loss. Also, the Mirage drive on just one line will swing and possibly bang against the boat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 31  Next