Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broken Gudgeon Screw
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was sailing on Friday in moderate winds when I heard a pop and lost rudder control. I figured it was the rudder pin breaking but it turns out that the bottom gudgeon screw had broken.

Anyone heard of this happening? I can't see how the 1/4 inch stainless steel screw could break and the rudder pin still be just fine.

I've spent most of today working to remove the broken piece from the brass fitting. So far I have broken 2 screw extractors! That sucker is in there good and drilling through the broken screw extractor is next to impossible. Any suggestions on how to remove it safely?

Post subject: Re: Broken Gudgeon Screw
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, this exactly happen to me this week.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWJT1ALaZpY[/youtube]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmm.... :?
Thanks for the heads up. When I replace the rudder (hopefully it will arrive soon :roll: ) I'll check the condition of those screws.
BTW -great video cavendish 8) . I also cut down those screws from the rigging kit when I first got the TI which came with the 'too short' screws initially.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This was Matt's reply to a fix for the broken gudgeon screws, (buried in another post that went off topic). I thought it best to re-post it here for future reference.

"Not yet available. This is really new information. As a precaution, we are trying to source new screws made from the same material as the V brace screw (17-4 I believe). These are not off-the-shelf parts. They would be custom. Currently we are making custom bolts with a V brace screw and a nut jammed on as a head.

Just be sure your screws are tight. I think a loose screw may be the cause of failures."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Kevin,

Friday, during the NCC ??? I never heard why you guys dropped out of the race. That must be disappointing after coming all the way from Florida. I hope this does not turn you off from Watertribe events.

Can the Hobie dealer help you to remove the broken bolt???

It will be my turn to come down to Florida in March for the EC. Hope to see you there...

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a really good question. With a sheared, loctited stainless screw, broken extractor and no drill press, that's going to take finesse.

Please let us know how it "works out".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Seeshark,

Always thought it was bound to happen with only two 1/4 inch screws supporting a larger rudder. Thinking of adding some silicone adhesive to area to help.

To fix, you could possibly use a drop of Loctite solvent before using a screw extractor. But I'm not sure if the solvent will damage HDPE. My thoughts are that you might need to breakdown the Loctite adhesive somewhat before applying any mechanical persuasion.

Let us know how it goes...

Aloha,

c2y

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Paul,
Yes, the broken screw was what knocked us out of the NCC. It failed on the Neuse river about 30 miles in. We limped to shore and spent several hours trying to find someone with a good drill & extractor set. Unfortunately we were not able to do so. We sailed for about 4 miles steering with a paddle but ultimately decided that we couldn't make enough progress to make the marina's in the intercoastal in time to get the boat fixed and still be in the race. With the forecast calling for storms and high winds we decided that sailing around in a rudderless boat was not a safe plan. The decision to turn around and drop out of the race was soul-crushing but at the time I couldn't think of an alternative. We sailed back the way we came until we found some houses. A very kind stranger was able to find a taxi company to come out to the middle of nowhere and after a one hour $85 taxi ride I was back at cedar island to pick up the car & trailer.
As far as the ECC 2012... I will absolutely be there. I'll see you on the beach!

NOHUHU & Cliffs2yak,
you're certainly right about what a nightmare it was to remove the broken screw. Once I got the boat home I drilled the screw and broke not one or two but THREE hardened steel extractors off. After the third one I e-mailed my dealer for help as it's next to impossible to drill through hardened steel. At their instruction I took the boat to a machine shop to have the broken screw/extractor removed. Fortunately they were able to do so without much trouble. and the dealer (or Hobie, I'm not sure which) is covering the cost. Hobie is mailing me some of the new high strength screws and I'll be all set.

I'm very pleased to see that even after a very small number of failures Hobie is making improvements to ensure that this doesn't continue to happen.

I can't wait to get back on the water!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SeeSharkGoFaster, what method did they use?

It's not really funny, but images of trying to wheel/backup an 18' hull into a crowded metal shop are cracking me up. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

They used a tungsten-carbide bit to remove it. Beyond that I don't know. Fortunately the machine shop was pretty roomy and they had plently of space to shore a large :wink: kayak until I picked it up. It stuck out exactly like you picture it would! A brilliant yellow kayak against so much grey and black machinery. I almost felt bad depriving them of such a treasure. :D

Oh wait. I didn't feel bad at all. I just want to get it back in the water!!!