Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CA - Tomales Bay
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tomales Bay is a fairly protected bay about an hour north of San Francisco. It is a beautiful place for kayaking, with several different areas to put in. Each area has its own challenges and rewards as far as accessibility, sights, and ease of journey. This is partly a result of topography and partly of wind and tides.

I will list the kayak put-ins, starting at the south end of Tomales Bay. As time permits, I will describe each put-in, and list what I like about it, and if I have any problems with it.

White House Pool. County park, primitive put in access. Excellent place to start a journey to see the 550 acres of newly restored wetland at the south end of the bay. Not a good place to tour most of the bay from.

Image The Giacomini Wetlands at the south end of Tomales Bay

Heading north on the west side of Tomales Bay is Heart's Desire Beach, part of the state park system. Restrooms, bbq's, picnic tables for the start of your journey to tour the bay. Good accessibility. You have to beach launch, but you must launch outside of the swimming buoys, which means it is a short walk with the kayak. Costs $5 or $7, can't remember which.

East shore of Tomales Bay, which means you wil be driving Highway 1, and launching within fifty feet of the road-

Marconi Cove. Easy launching area, dirt parking area. It can fill up with lots of vehicles. Launching is very easy. No toilets, no nothing, except parking and a short stretch of beach. This starts a person off farther south than I like if I will be doing a full bay tour.

From here up to Nick's Cove and the Miller Boat Launch, there are several dirt turnouts that can be used, but I wouldn't recommend most of them for one reason or another.

Miller Boat Launch. Paved boat launch, lots of parking, full facilities and a restaurant (somewhat overpriced) right next door. Easy access. Costs $5.

Mile and a half of open water to reach one of my favorite stretches for kayaking. Lots of wildlife, marine life and birds, paddling across the bay dumps you into the Point Reyes National Seashore.

One of many bobcats I've come across while kayaking Tomales Bay

I'll flesh out Tomales Bay a little more in a day or two.

Happy paddling (peddling)

Post subject: Re: CA - Tomales Bay
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just saw your post on launch places at Tomales Bay, the pictures were awesome. Thanks for the info. Have you ever fished Tomales Bay? I'm from Nevada and would like some local knowledge on fishing Tomales Bay, best time of year to fish,where to fish, what species of fish are in the bay. Thanks Rickashay52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just did a quick trip to Tomales and launched in the town of Inverness! Stayed at one of the local hotels right on the water and they let us launch right there!

Made it over to Marshall for some oysters and a nice lunch!d

Beautiful area! Quick hike to the headlands afterwards! Unbelievable hike through the Elk!

Wish I had my camera for this part of our trip!

Will for sure be heading back!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It seems like a good way and best for enjoyment. I want to go on such kind of places on weekend and would like to spend some time in such fantastic places.