Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sleeping on board
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Arno
I used to climb when I wasn't sailing.
On long Overnight climbs, the standard was to use web supported single beds attached to anchors driven into the cracks in the wall.
The same type of system can be used if you can find a single tree to support you.
PM me if you need further info
Fred

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Arno
I haven't read a lot of the threads here (my bad)
But bottom line is comfort. I've spent hundreds of weekends on a 27' monohull that was in the 8000 lb range. A boat that weighs less than you will be skidding all over hell's half acre. As you don't have a heavy anchor, the boat could tear loose. When we wanted a break to explore the Thousands of nooks and crannies on the BC, Canada Coast, we got out the hiking gear and went ashore for the night.
I used very bomb proof camping gear that I also used at altitude, and when we went weekend kayaking. The bonus was the gear hardly weighs anything...

Alas the gear is very expensive...

As any boat, friend, it's always a matter of compromises.
Not sure if that helps, but it does not have to be gold plated camping gear. It just needs a check from you to ensure it works for your hiking purposes before you commit the gear to your boat (all in waterproof bags).

Fred

Last edited by Trinomite on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fred, Arno has not visited the forum since April 2010. Like me, his main purpose in finding a way to sleep onboard was to stay in areas where camping is not permitted. If I am allowed to camp and trees are available, I generally beach my boat and sling my camping hammock on land. Personally, I only sleep aboard in shallow, sheltered areas - not gutsy (?foolish) enough to attempt it any distance offshore.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Gents,
Good call on the rubber application on the half cuts. Can't wait to get to it. Here is another newbie question...instead of re-inventing the wheel, do any of you detail-oriented yakkers have plans for some splash guarts for the bow? Would love to put some together while I count the days to head back home. Material may be a proplem here in Afghanistan, but should be able to sucure something from the Marines. I just do not have any measurements to work with. Want to hit the Tennessee River the day after I arrive and make the most of my month R&R. I have acquired a massive Honey Do List from the Queen which may cut into my plans. Looks like I need to get her on the water fast. Thanks Guys!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Let me toss out another idea. Buy one of the large pool noodles and keep it inside the boat until ready to stop for the night. Now remove it and attach it to one of the outriggers with two or three bungees. That will provide a tremendous amount of additional floatation and allow you to sleep on one of the tramps without pushing that outrigger or tramp underwater.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SmikyMtnKayaking wrote:
instead of re-inventing the wheel, do any of you detail-oriented yakkers have plans for some splash guarts for the bow?

Kayaking Bob must have missed your post. His design for sprayskirts is generally regarded as right on the money. I've got a set and they work great. The pattern is available on his website: http://www.kayakingbob.com/sprayskirt
Or, you can just purchase a set, made by his lovely wife Dee.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the great ideas. I have one of those Army sleeping systems, which is two sleeping bags with a GoreTex bivy. Would make things alot easier to just tie off a noodle or two and throw my gear on the other tramp for extra counter balance and call it a night.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
SmikyMtnKayaking wrote:
instead of re-inventing the wheel, do any of you detail-oriented yakkers have plans for some splash guarts for the bow?

Kayaking Bob must have missed your post. His design for sprayskirts is generally regarded as right on the money. I've got a set and they work great. The pattern is available on his website: http://www.kayakingbob.com/sprayskirt
Or, you can just purchase a set, made by his lovely wife Dee.

I'm traveling and am a little slow keeping up with all the posts. :)

If anyone has any questions on Sprayskirts or any of my mods, just email me and I should answer back within a day.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Fred, Arno has not visited the forum since April 2010. Like me, his main purpose in finding a way to sleep onboard was to stay in areas where camping is not permitted. If I am allowed to camp and trees are available, I generally beach my boat and sling my camping hammock on land. Personally, I only sleep aboard in shallow, sheltered areas - not gutsy (?foolish) enough to attempt it any distance offshore.

Chris, I admit going through 12 pages of posts is a bit of a chore, yet I know what you're talking about. I've been kicked off a number of perfect campsites that were deemed as IR (Indian Reservations), in Kayaks and a 14' Zodiac with a a 25 horse Johnson. Is sleeping aboard a boat as small as an AI/TI possible? Of course, it all depends on what you consider as your comfort level. Of course the anchorage has to be sheltered, running dual anchors in the direction of prevailing winds is a given. A swim ashore (or a paddle board) will be needed to tie the stern off to a tree, above tide log, fixed rock, or a piton driven into a crack in the rocks to keep the boat from swinging loose. (military surplus parachute line is thin, cheap and very strong for that purpose, and takes up little room and weight aboard).
A good sleeping bag and bivy sack can save you the bother to rig a tarp to cover your entire Ai/TI. Yet unless conditions are less than perfect, why bother? Better to find a way to camo your boat in case the Coast Guard (or the local Park Ranger) does a nightly check of these areas.
(I strongly recommend that if the areas are deemed as wildlife protection areas, there is a reason and you find other places to park your stern... Your brightly coloured boats and you can turn away sea birds that have flown for thousands of miles and are on the very edge of starvation and need to land to eat!)
Btw: When I learned to sail in Outward Bound, we learned on an open decked 28' ketch that used oars instead of an outboard. The bivy sacks were made up of 2 army issue ground sheets snapped together. They still work at the very low budget level.
Thank God, that in this day and age, bivy sacks are almost bombproof......regards to the outboard motor also, hehe
Just a bit of background on the Coast of BC: It's very rocky, beaches are not that common, however sheltered coves are a plenty as are overhanging trees that can shield the boat from overhead observation. I also strongly believe that Indian Reservations in Canada are a joke, as well as Native only fishing openings...that have been exploited to the upmost limit by the people who the treaties were meant to protect!
(Remember also, that the laws of the seas cannot keep you from safe harbour, if it is truly an emerg situation).
If there is a will, Yup there will always be a way..
Regards
Fred

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Trinomite wrote:
Is sleeping aboard a boat as small as an AI/TI possible? Of course, it all depends on what you consider as your comfort level.

Fred, the world seems to be divided into those who love camping hammocks and those who hate them. If you find them comfortable, it really makes no difference whether they are slung on the boat or between trees.
I like to find an area where the water is less than about 2 feet deep at high tide, then just secure the boat with a stakeout pole. As long as I am below high tide mark, I am technically not on land.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey chris
I tried a hammock once, but the gymnastics from my climbing days have made me think twice due to slipped disks in my back.
Considering, we're sharing info, I've never thought of using a hammock aboard.
Thanks for the tip. Considering that the AI needs a counterbalance or a possible wet bivy bag results, your idea is actually a lot more elegant.

Here is a single point suspension system known as a Portaledge:

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/portaledges.html

That one is a double, the singles can be packed into a rather small lightweight tube.
Many ways to skin the cat.
Yup, the same laws as to private land stopping at the Spring high tide are the same here as Australia, it seems. (The US not so as people can own land underwater on beach fronts)
Best Regards
Fred

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

... just a random thought that popped into my noggin while perusing a couple of the last pages of this thread for the first time, and having some minimalist camping experience in what seems like a previous lifetime

- Why not use the mast as the centerline supporting the fly ? A simple PVC tripod fore and aft with the mast suspended and the hammok slung from the mast.

I'm Even thinking the sail could be used to eliminate the fly - if disassembly and rigging it wasn't a chore (nevermind the horrid flapping racket it makes)

I was taught to consider every piece of gear packed should have at least a dual purpose

Ahhh Ford ? ... where's my trip towel :)

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

@Fred. I'm not sure if you've trolled through all the pages in this thread, but here is what it looks like when set up:

@Alan. I tried to find ways to integrate the mast, but it just ended up making things more complex. I'm always open to suggestions, but this design is tested in the field and works fine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought I might just add to the discussion by backing up Chris's design. We went on a trip to Broughton Island and I was so impressed with Chris's hammock setup, I had to get one. I hadn't slept in a hammock before and I must admit that the first time I tried it out I thought I had made a mistake cause I just couldn't get comfy. But I have now used it 1/2 dozen times and every time I do, I get a better nights sleep. I now love it.

This is my setup based on Chris's design, with a couple of tweaks thrown in.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=33517&p=132696&hilit=hennessy#p132696

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Slaughter,

Thanks for re-posting to your topic. I had saved your pictures but then my laptop crashed. You wouldn't mind including a parts list? Please.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 31  Next