Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fixin Up the H14
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So I won't be able to sail "The Yellowtail Tuna" until my trailer is done being fixed, and I'm working on the boat before I sail it. I need some opinions.

I weigh about 185 lb and I'll be the only one on it. I sail in the decent winds of SF bay area/ west coast etc... and with the H16 it was entirely necessary for my friend to always be on the trap. With the H14 however, is the fact that the dolphin striker does not come standard implying that I won't need to trap? Because I would like to get it ready for trapping now when I can't sail it. Is it necessary for me? Or is leaning over the rear windward casting gonna be good enough (I mean, I am 6'3" which is why normally I can just lean all the way out and get a large amount of leverage.)

Okay after that, is it possible for me to simply rip the dolphin striker off of an old H16 i have lying around, and put it on the H14 or are they different sizes/integrities?

Post subject: Striker
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:01 am 
Site Admin

The original 14 was without striker. No trapeze. In 1982 the striker was added along with the option of a trapeze and jib. At your size you don't need or maybe want to trapeze. The 14 was optomized at about 150 lb crew.

The 16 is wider, so the striker is not "swapable".

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I disagree. I weigh about 185, and am traped out in about 15 knots, and less sometimes. You need to get the weight aft, and its hard to do it with the hiking straps (which are imo too tight). Plus, you'll WANT it if it blows hard regularly. One time, I was traped out with my father sitting on the rear corner (total about 320 lbs of crew weight). It was relativly flat water (2 foot waves, which is flat for me) , we were flying, and it was still hard to keep the bows above the water!

Post subject: dolphin striker on a 14
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would put the dolphin striker and trap on the 14. I am 165 and it works very well. At the North Americans it blew pretty hard and everyone was on the wire, even the heavy guys. Worked fine.

cheers
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm 185 and I trap out all the time--I just don't have to get on the wire as quickly as I would on a 16 or bigger boat.

Actually, the 16 dolphin striker works on the 14, but it is a PAIN IN THE butt to change it over. I hear a 17 is the exact fit, but you still have to do some work.

To adapt the 16 striker to a 14, you need to straighten the wires, tap them farther up the wire towards the post and cut off the end and then rebend the end to fit through the corner casting. That took me a few hours to do. Then, you need to figure out where to drill a hole in the forward beam under the mast base so that the pole will screw into the mast base. You will need to get one of the new mast bases with a tapped hole in it, and they aint cheep. It is a day long project that isn't worth it.

Get the aftermarket striker--4-6 rivets and you are done. It installs in about a half hour and is just as nice (although maybe not as good looking) as the stainless set-up.

Just my 2 cents. I've converted many 14s and I prefer the aftermarket striker.

Dan