Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SOLO
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

When (wind mph) is the Getaway no longer soloable? Wind was blowing pretty good Sat/Sun with some whitecaps, flags stretched out, but no blowing sand on the beach so I'm thinking it was (15-17KTS) Also thinking that the Getaway might be a handful solo when launching in wind and waves.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

wind was probably more in the 17-20 range,....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It really depends on your comfort level with the boat. When I first started sailing in my H16 I was hesitant in anything over 15 kts. Now, I hesitate to go out in anything less.

I found that the gusts are what causes most of my problems. A strong, steady wind is something to enjoy.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

whats the best way to control the boat in winds?? let out the traveler

Post subject: riding the winds
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have sailed my Getaway in some pretty high winds and was told later it was close to 25 Knots. I sail solo quite a bit and have been comfortable in winds up to 20 Knots knowingly. These days if the winds are under 8 I stay home as the Getaway is better when winds are 10 to 15. Of course I am learning to make sure I have spare parts now as I have been having rigging failures like crazy.

Sheeting out to depower is fine except down wind. (My opinion)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hudsondude -

I see you are in Hudson FL. I am just down the coast from you. Where do you sail and launch from? Are there any areas around there that are Cat friendly and will allow you to leave your boat on the beach?

I also have a Getaway. What other maintenance issues are you having? Who do you get parts from?

Thanks in advance -

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:06 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
It is always a good idea to replace the shrouds about every 2-3 years depending on use. I rented Getaways for years, kept one boat in rental for 4 years, never replaced anything but rigging, however we were very maintenance oriented and always rinsed with fresh water! Have fun sailing guys and please let me know what is failing so I can advise my getaway owners to keep there eyes on potential problem areas, and so I can have the part in stock if they do need them!!

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com <------ online store coming soon!!
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard/Hunter Dealer
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject: hudson florida sailing
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

David, I can beach launch from the Dunedin Causeway, and now with an overnight parking permit leave the car and trailer on shore when camping on the little islands up and down the coast. I also have a place in Hudson on an canal to the gulf where I have launched alot this year so far. I have a motor and can get out of any marina now too. I know of no beach to leave my boat on, unless you own it.

Talking to my Hobie dealer I find that the rigging needs to be replace annually as much as I sail, which is just about every weekend of the year.

After two grueling years my little Getaway is showing signs of tramp failure at the grommets on the inside and other than the rudder pintles pulling out and rigging (ALL Stays), I have had very good luck, even with scratches on the bottom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hudsondude -

Thanks for all the info. I kept my boat on Sunset Beach behind a friend's house for 2 years. Then one day the police put a note on it saying it was against the law to have boats on the beach. There were about 6 of us that had to move our boats. Now I'm doing the trailer thing and it is a pain. I've found other beaches down the coast where there will be 50 cats pulled up in one area. Wish there were more places like that.

I've been following your rudder issue on other posts. I keep the rudder tension on my boat to a minimum and keep those cams lubed up. I figure it's better to have them pop up when you don't need them to - then to have them not release when they do need to.

All in all - I've been quite pleased with the Getaway. It does a lot of things well. I'll keep my eyes on those maintenance issues.

Thanks again for getting back to me -

David