Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jib car position locking
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all. I have little problem with my jib car on my old HC18. Car is locked by pin in any position but sometimes it fail (pin is not in hole enough maybe) and car go forward.
I think think about line attached to back crossbar trough pulley on jib car back to crossbar and then to V-cleat on oposite side of crossbar (better for setting from windward side).
Is it good idea?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Its an interesting idea, but I think more complication than it's worth. I would not want all the extra lines cluttering up the tramp, especially right in the area where the skipper is going in and out on the trapeze. I suppose you could put a grommet in the tramp and run the lines underneath, but I still think this system is more complex than it needs to be. We rarely adjust the position of the jib cars. Occasionally in high wind we'll move them back a little, but most of the time they're always in the same spot.

My advise would be to determine the cause of the jib car locking pin not working propery and fix it. Replacement jib cars are fairly inexpensive (I'm talking just the car, not the whole block).

sm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Listen to srm....and definitely use that traveler car in the picture he included for you...the head on the release button is lower, rounder and smoother than the stock unit.
So what you say??? Before I replaced my stock traveler cars with that unit, the sharp edges on the higher profile stock button, ruined the butt on several wetsuits, and the last straw was when one of them ripped a large gash in my crews leg when she unexpectedly slid across the tramp. That injury required a lot of stitches, with the attached medical bills, the permanent scar on my wife's leg, and of course less importantly forced us to retire from a regatta we had driven a long way to participate in.
Replacing your worn out units with these will solve your current problem, and save you from a lot of grief you don't even know exists yet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

+ one more for SRM... nice idea though...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It sounds good. It really not needed to seting position of jib car during so I use winter pause for inspection, repair and modify my stock traveler.
thank you all :wink: