Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello. My name is Sharon McIntosh, and I am currently volunteering this week in Bay St. Louis, MS to help victims of Katrina. (If you want to see the work the volunteers have done to date, please visit www.olgv.com.) As most of you know, this area was devastated by Hurricane Katrina last August. Families here are still living in FEMA trailers as they rebuild their lives and their spirit. You'd be shocked to still see the devastation that exists even after months of repair -- and yet the resilience of these families despite their difficult lives.

Here's what I'm asking of this forum: Recently, a Hobie Getaway was donated to the Our Lady of the Gulf church. It's in need of repair -- and quite a few missing parts. We have the volunteers who are willing to do the hard work to bring it together, but we are in need of parts, and we are looking to any kind, fellow sailor to donate some of the critical parts to make this boat whole so we can rebuild it and give it back to the community for use. I'd also welcome suggestions on who might be a good source for this donation.

The key parts we are missing are the trampoline, sails, tiller arm and crossbar extension, forestay bridle adjustor and rigging and shrouds. I have a photo of the boat, which I can send to anyone who would request it. My e-mail is [email protected].

Thanks in advance...and I appreciate anything you can offer-- even if it's ideas!

Sharon

Last edited by smcint5 on Tue May 30, 2006 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Katrina Needs
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Why not sell the boats as parts now and use the funds to help the Katrina victims.