Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's something new:
ImageImage

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H7522LL/A?fnode=MjUxMDA5MDg

This thing has potential for coastal kayakers and sailors, I think.

- Tiny, self-contained, rugged and waterproof GPS puck
- Uses 3G/GSM phone coverage to broadcast your location in real time
- Personal website tracks your speed/location and can send "zone" alerts
- Accurate to 10 feet!
- Lasts 1 week on a charge - can not be turned off
- There's a 12V vehicle version for cars and boats.

$150 for the disc and app. 12.95/mo for service

Obviously cool for parents, caregivers, animal/business/property owners - but this seems a great replacement for the battery sucking GPS apps on my iPhone.

This could be used for many sports: kitesurfing, skiing, hiking. A great little "Lowjack" solution for your car/boat too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks good. 8)
From what I have read so far, it reminds me of the "track your boyfriend" app that recently caused a bit of a ruckus :roll: :shock:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not sure how well it work in a place like the Everglades. No cell coverage there. A SPOT has a Satellite coverage, tracks your position and can call local rescue if you push the SOS button. No monthly charges.

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Paul, could spot post your location/track/statistics on a google map, in real time for your race fans to see? That would be a cool feature for the next challenge, where there is signal. (The guys chasing you may see it too)

We don't have spot coverage in the islands, but have good cell reception in most of the 3 nautical mile areas. I suspect that's true of most areas.

This puck has a dozen other uses folks may find handy, but it has no panic button. It only becomes a distress signal after someone realizes you are in trouble.

The true advantage here is that this device will track/broadcast my location 100% of the time, and can do it long after my cell phone and I are out of commission. No action is required, just someone onshore who wants me back.

Course, if she has also been tracking my trips to the strip bar, that might be a problem. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU,

Watertribe actually does have a mapper that shows all the racers in almost real time. It pulls data from all the contestant SPOT share pages and puts it on a BING satellite projection. Go to: http://www.watertribe.com/Events/ChallengeMapper.aspx
Since the race is over you can only see the end positions. To see my track from the race:

1) Select NCC2011 from first pulldown;
2) Select DogsLife from third pulldown;
3) Select "Show tracks and all waypoints" from fourth pulldown;
4) Hit "Regenerate View" button;

You should see my entire route. Hold mouse over dots to see the time and speed...

It does not matter if the rest can see where I am. Like a good dog I put up my tail and let them smell my dust...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks! Outstanding.

Love those legs where you were doing "infinity knots". :o

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Spot does have a $99/year fee for the advanced tracking and reporting features. Seems well worth it if you're ever sailing where you could run into trouble (which is pretty much anywhere).

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It looks good. I carry the first version on my 5th wheel RV in case of problems...
Not to argue, but I strongly suggest that a good portable VHF radio might serve your purposes better for a true emergency on the marine environment. The Spot system was designed to keep hikers in touch with their friends or in the extreme, a life saving rescue.
As a Mariner, the local Coast Guard can get to you way faster if you have the proper gear.
A portable VHF if waterproof and registered with the local S&R will get you better response than a proprietary system.
As I mentioned before, a unit such as the Standard Horizon HX851 has no cost attached other than the price of purchase. To register the unique code for this radio is free. The radio is registered, not your boat. It can be transferred from vessel to vessel if you own more than 1 boat.

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS. ... visionID=3

Do I care? You bet!...or why would I bother to even post this info here?
Trinomite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Trinomite,

I own a Standard Horizon HX851 VHF. As a VHF I am not very happy with it. As you know the Hobie is a very wet boat. After a few times out the speaker got water into it. I tried drying it but can't get the speaker to work properly. It is also large and heavy. It has way too many functions for me to use efficiently.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Dogslife
Sorry to hear about your radio's problem.
I've washed off my radio after every use and never have had an issue with it since I bought it in June of 2011.
May I suggest you return the unit to the dealer and get a replacement. Yes it has a steep learning curve due to it's multi functions, yet the key function is the DSC system. The other alternative is an EPIRB that costs many times more and only has one function: ('I am an airplane that has ditched into the sea'....)_
This radio has become the preferred choice for kayaking guides in some of the most remote areas on the North Pacific and other remote places on this planet.
Hoping it works out well for you.
Trinomite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU
The puck looks like a good idea. Yet as the economy still has no chance of recovery, I'm not sure if investing in this idea is good or a possible risk (in case the Corp that owns the system does the turtle thingie.)
I'm looking for real estate in the Islands. Nothing fancy, just a 2 bedroom condo where I can play and let my Mom live out her fantasies to watch the sun sink in the ocean.
May I ask where you would suggest that I look.
Many thanks from a guy that has never had the chance to visit Hawaii.
Fair winds NOHUHU
Fred

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:11 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Any VHF I've used (regradless of waterproof standard) has had it's life extended with the use of a dry bag. Look at it as a $30 insurance policy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Dan
You're on the money as no matter what the factory seals intend, the extra layer will add that one more level of protection for a radio, EPIRB, GPS, and Sounder.
It still amazes me that after all the work on my AI in the last 6 months, there are still leaks and means for water penetration. (and yes I know how to install fittings without any leaks). I parked the sealed up boat within range of the sprinkler system on my front lawn for a few days and used toilet paper inside the hull to find out where the leaks were coming from. The areas below the hatches had the water leaks.
As a result of this, I would not take this boat out without a pump, and to keep important electrical items in waterproof boxes at all times.
Fiberglass may be heavier yet this type of boat construction seems to shrink and expand far less during normal use to ensure proper waterproof seals, imho.
Just some observations.
Be well
Fred