Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Are you interested in some sort of Bahama raid?
1) yes sailing my own boat from Florida 39%  39%  [ 9 ]
2) Yes shipping my own boat to Nassau Georgetown 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
3) Yes flying in and using a hobie 16 43%  43%  [ 10 ]
4)Yes flying in and using a hobie getaway 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
5)Yes flying in and using a different hobie (Please comment on the thread what boat you'd prefer) 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 23
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm interested.

Bloome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm still waiting to hear back from the Bahamas govt, could be a while. I will keep you posted what progress I am making. There are various hoops to jump through, the Bahamian govt being one, but hopefully slowly but surely it can happen. Earliest possible would be January 2012.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sounds like a great idea to me. My boats in New England, so I'd be up for renting one, rather than shipping mine anywhere. I'd also be game for sailing from Florida with a group. If you set up some boats for rental it would open the door to a much larger geographic of sailors.

As for the 16 versus the Getaway, I could go either way. I'd only prefer the 16 cause that's what I sail, and I know how to sail it.

Keep me informed.

Martin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This a watercolor painting of my childhood home in Nassau, Bahamas. The house was called Pine Knoll back in the late 50's as houses did not have addresses back then. Behind the home, there were seven terraces leading down to the ocean. Today there is a highway in the backyard :o
I've always wanted to return to the Bahamas by sailboat and visit the old place and meet the current owners.

Bill 404 21SE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Have you considered the Abaco's? Much closer, more protected and nearly as nice. Besides, maybe then I could join with my Bravo which is already there!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'd be very interested... but I'm on the West coast and for a trip like that would really like to sail my own boat...

I'll be watching this thread with interest...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Up to this point in the thread, only Hobie catamarans have been discussed as options for sailing in the Bahamans.

I am unfamiliar with the sailing grounds of the Bahamas. How would an AI/TI fare there?

I sail a TI in South Florida. And there are other AI/TI owners here that might be interested in such a trip.

Shuttling the boats over the Gulf Stream by towing the AI/TIs behind a larger catamaran seems like an interesting solution to getting the boats to the Bahamas safely and comfortably.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

HI guys its very encouraging to see people commenting on this. Just address what I can here.
First about sailing the Abacos: Yes its a possibility. For me its an unknown area so I would have to scope it out but it has its pros and cons compared to the exumas. From what I know......
Second the AI/TI question. I would think the exumas would be ideal for them too, I know there are guys kayaking through the islands, the waters flat and itd be easy sailing. I guess you could have cats and AI/TI's together though the only problem I can think of is difference in speed. But yes I think there's lots of potential.
Havent heard back from the bahamas govt yet so gonna chase them up next week.
Will keep you all informed as it progresses

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As the three time champ on the Hobie Cat Key West To Cuba race Think hard and long about the crossing to the Bahamas due to dangerous water and unpredictable weather It is of course in the Bermuda Triangle. Renting or paying transport to the Islands would be a better idea. Sailing over would be nuts. Some of the above is kidding but most of it is dead serious.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would be more interested in sailing a shorter distance from say WPB to West End and back. Sailing all the way to the Abacos or farther would take too long for me and I would prefer to have a different type of boat for that kind of trip. How were you able to plot your course like that in google maps?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

In google maps you log in to my places and then you can create route maps. :D
OK so progress so far....I am looking to set up a hobie expedition style business working out of the exumas. It will have a real eco-tourism slant being very low impact environmentally, and all renewable energy powered which of course we hobie sailors always are. Addressing all the eco issues is important for the government there I think. This winter I will be returning to the bahamas with some people interested in getting involved, where my 31 foot cat is but I dont know if I will be able to offer the full hobie thing, unless I can find investors very soon. I have put together a website at http://www.safarielexpeditions.weebly.com which gives a good idea of how I would hope to work it. Anyone interested can email me their thoughts. If it all comes together then I reckon it would be the ultimate hobie trip.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Safariel,
I just looked at your website, impressive and interesting, BUT, I believe camping on the beach is illegal in the Bahamas. You might want to check that out before proceeding further.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

yes I have heard this, yet exuma land and sea park has posted on its website camping prices and guidelines for camping on the beaches and of course outislandexplorers regularly run kayak expeditions so seems a bit of a gray area and is exactly why I am taking a lot of care with how it is put to the bahamian government

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I checked out your website, and it looked awesome! I would love to do this. Any ideas yet on the pricerange? Any idea how much the Germans charge for their trips?

Also, what do you do if the weather picks up? Last time we were in the Exuma's, the weather picked up pretty good one night. We were fine in our rented house, but I wouldn't have wanted to be on camping on the beach with a Hobie 16 to protect! I guess on the plus side, we had plenty of warning, so I guess you could put down the masts and stake them down.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The germans are charging 3000 euros ($2400?) plus flights and restaurant most nights, so a lot of cash! They only ship their cats over for two trips so have high overheads. I reckon on charging more round $1200 for 10 days then you pay your own flights. As for the weather....yes it can pick up and its more of an issue for the support boat as the hobies can get up on a beach and in shelter, but there are so many bays and coves where you can head for to be on the lee side of the worst of a Norther. I would be looking to have all the sails reefable like my own old Tequilla sunrise sail is. That way we could sail in most of what the winter weather can throw us. :D