Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heenan Lake
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Heenan Lake is a California Dept. of Fish and Game brood lake for Lahontan Cutthroat trout. the CA DFG gets eggs and milt from the Cutts in the lake and sends them to other hatcheries to rear. the DFG then plants thousands of Cutts in the lake. regulations only allow fishing in September and October and only on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from sunup to sundown. only barbless artificial lures and flies are allowed. there are Cutts up to and over 10 pounds in this lake. I fished the lake on Friday for about the fifth time and finally caught a few, ended up with a 12 to 14" and one that went 3 or 4 pounds. my buddy was using my Hobie Outback and he got a 12", one that went around 2.5 pounds and one that he said had to be 7 or 8 pounds. the weather was gorgeous with no wind (it can and does get very windy here, not many days with no wind).

the fall foilage was at peak this last weekend:

Post subject: Re: Heenan Lake
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cool! I'm planning to take my PA to Heenan someday. I float tubed it or two years ago - before I got my PA. We started out ok - no wind, but at 11:00 it came up hard and strong. took me about two hours to kick back. Sometimes I was just barely staying in place and I was kicking as hard as I could. I almost gave up and kicked to shore to walk back. But I finally made it. A PA would be great on that lake. Those fish love a fast retreive!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Did you take your trailer down that steep hill to the boat launch area? It's pretty tight down at the launch area. Too steep to back down and not much room to turn a trailer around. I've wanted to take my PA down on my trailer but thought it would be too difficult . Now that I have my new truck and a bed extender rack on order, I fugure I can take in down in the truck bed next season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TroutNoDoubt wrote:
Did you take your trailer down that steep hill to the boat launch area? It's pretty tight down at the launch area. Too steep to back down and not much room to turn a trailer around. I've wanted to take my PA down on my trailer but thought it would be too difficult . Now that I have my new truck and a bed extender rack on order, I fugure I can take in down in the truck bed next season.

I use a post WWll 1/4 ton Bantam trailer to haul the yaks, it is short and narrow. We got there right when the DFG employee opened the gate so I drove down and turned around in the wide area near the bottom. I then backed down to the water and we off loaded the yaks. When it was time to leave there was no one else on the ramp so I walked up and got the truck and trailer and drove down and loaded up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Bob,
If you want to hit Heenan next year let me know and we will go after em!
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ed:

Thanks. Sounds good. Let's talk about heenan next fall.

Got my truck bed extender today...

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TroutNoDoubt wrote:
Ed:

Thanks. Sounds good. Let's talk about heenan next fall.

Got my truck bed extender today...

Bob

are you going to put the PA in the truck any time soon? I would like to see how that works out as I would also like to do that sometimes instead of dragging a trailer around. where did you source the bed extender at?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello atavuss.

Great pictures!

A hug.