Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now Chris you know strong drink never passes my lips :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like you Victorian are one step ahead of us New South Welshmen for a change :lol: I haven't heard boo from the supplier yet. I'll have to get onto it.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Probably be prudent to give Steve another week to get them all out before contacting them Slaughter as he requested in this thread above.
I must say the new rudders are solid critters and look like they will be up to the job. I have been quite happy with the existing one now the pin has been improved but will monitor the reports of the local lads as to their feelings once installed....Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Took your advice thanks Pirate and guess what arrived in the mail this morning. Timing was perfect as I got well and truly p'd off with the T&S at the weekend in shallow water.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Took your advice thanks Pirate and guess what arrived in the mail this morning. Timing was perfect as I got well and truly p'd off with the T&S at the weekend in shallow water.

Great to hear we all seem to have received our presents now. We will have to organise a gathering of the clans some time in the future...Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all
I contacted Hobiecat Australia on Wednesday, got the rudder Saturday
Fitted it that afternoon using the original lines, sweet
Went sailing with it on Sunday and man! what an improvement, in gusty conditions no issues at all ( well apart from the niece walking around the front of the mast on tack and stopping me dead in the water... :? )
Much more authoritative at all points of sale.

Thanks Hobie for such fast efficient service, much appreciated. :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Who did you contact in Australia, ?
Apparently Australia and NZ are looked after by Aus?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

oldwetfish wrote:
Who did you contact in Australia, ?
Apparently Australia and NZ are looked after by Aus?

I used the web link on the Hobiecat Oz webpage,
[email protected]
I got a response the same day from Steve Fields the Oz MD for Hobie

Oh, and I sent the mail on Thursday, not Wednesday...
Amazing service :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:

patjetta - I gather from the above that all lines were long enought to manage this? Or did you have to add some??
Were you able to keep the rear hatch clear of lines by utilising the original clips under the hatch?
Was it a TI or an AI you upgraded?
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just finished my rudder upgrade. Piece of p'ss thanks to Jim's instruction video on page 1 of this thread. I played the video on my laptop that was setup in the cockpit. The video was so well done that I hardly had to pause it throughout the installation. Thanks Jim.

To answer one of your questions Mickey, the lines through the rear hatch are my only gripe. I have a hard round plastic 5ltr toolbox that usually fits nicely in the rear hatch, but it now has a tough time getting in past the lines. My line seem to be too tight jms2756 to go through the existing padeyes and also the knot look like they would foul on the padeye. I'm thinking that a short length of plastic pipe with a large enough hole to take the knots could be easily tied up out of the way. Haven't thought about it too much yet, it's too late.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter,
You didn't try to use the original lines?
Picked my rudders up from the PO yesterday. Thanks Hobie. 8) (We have trouble with our postie not delivering packages. The PO card was in the letterbox Monday so thanks Steve)
At this stage I will do the TI and try to use the original lines.
As I've had no trouble with the AI's rudder I'm going to leave it for the time being. I use the AI as a kayak a lot more and will see how easily the new rudder transports. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mickeymouse wrote:
Quote:

patjetta - I gather from the above that all lines were long enought to manage this? Or did you have to add some??
Were you able to keep the rear hatch clear of lines by utilising the original clips under the hatch?
Was it a TI or an AI you upgraded?
Thanks

Hi Mickeymouse
The existing lines are long enough...just. :D
I undid the lines from the rudder, hardest was the up down line, a very complicated knot...
Removed the old assembly and fitted the new one, using all the original lines.
I didn't have to go into the hull at all, just pulled the up/down lines as far through as I could and clamped them with vicegrips, and Bobs your uncle.
Mine is an AI. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy - yep, I used the original lines. It was a bit late so I didn't think too much about the issue but I think that by adding the knots with the new arrangement, when the knot goes forward and aft, with the up and down or left and right of the rudder movement, the knots will foul on the padeye hooks. But I have some small diameter hard plastic tube that I could use to guide the knots if necessary. Jim at the end of the video thought the issue of the lines going thought the middle of the hatch as not a big deal ? For mine they are tight and do get in the way and some hard plastic pipe, doing the same job as on the original setup, seems like the way to go. We've gotta get this right mate. I don't want us to be stranded in the middle of 'The Ditch'.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I re-tied the knots and added some of the hard black plastic tube that I mentioned in the thread above. In the video where Jim ties a loop, well I retied the loop so that it is now about 12" long and the entire loop goes through the tube. I reckon it will work pretty good. The movements of the knots throughout their operation, now don't foul on the padeye and the plastic tubes now protect the lines allowing slippage.

If you intend doing similar, the tube is available at Pneumatic / Hydraulic suppliers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter - looks like a good solution 8) :wink:
I converted both the AI & TI within a day or so of receiving them, using a combination of original and new lines on both - although it had been my intention to try and use all the original lines. :roll:

The AI has three of the original lines and one new line. A couple of us have done it this way down here and we have all lines clear of the hatch - in their original position. It works OK but does mean that the new up and down lines have no tubing protecting them from possible wear on the plastic padeye. However the surface is smooth and the up/down lines are not subject to anywhere near the amount of use as the left/right turn lines.

On the TI I have used the original left/right turn lines and the two new lines for the up/down. I have not tried the TI on the water yet but I am not entirel happy with it and am thinking about redoing it (I have not cut any original or new lines yet).

I really thought that the "in the field" installation, resulting with lines with knots and joins blocking access to the rear hatch was not a good look. When it comes time to sell it, I would be put off by the look of it if I was a prospective buyer. :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next