Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello
My name is Trinomite. I own a 2011 AI and numerous other yaks that have one thing in common: They are all rigged to sail.
As I cannot be bothered to put a full sailing rig (dagger boards, rigging, etc) on all these boats I have used a V shaped downwind sail on all except the Hobie Adventure Island.
My sail of choice was a 'Scotty Mounted',

http://www.spiritsails.com/

I own both sizes and these products have served me well over the years.

Please respond, if you have used these sails, or what you have found more efficient for your own uses?

Best Regards
Trinomite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tri,

I haven't used these sails but I have sailed "against" them - there a quite as few of them around where I live in NZ.

All I can say is that the Adventure (Island) hull with small sail and daggerboard is far and away better at sailing on virtually all points of sail than any of the kayaks I have come across that are equipped with these sails.

You say you haven't been bothered to rig up your kayaks with a daggerboard etc for sailing. But you have an AI so you must have a daggerboard. All you would need to do to use the small sail on the AI hull is to make yourself an adapter to fit the small Hobie mast to the AI mast seat. This can be made very easily from the bottom of an old windsurfer mast plus some parts from Hobie and your local hardware store and a bit of epoxy. Once done you will have the best of all Hobie kayaking worlds - sail/pedal trimaran with roller reefing sail plus a sail/pedal/paddle kayak with a roller reefing sail and daggerboard for good upwind performance.

If your kayak sailing so far has only been undertaken with one of those down/across wind v-shaped sails I do not think you would be disappointed with the performance of the small Hobie rig by comparison.