Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have all the parts for my anchor trolley, but I am not exactly sure where to mount everything. I have seen the pulleys mounted high on the side of the hull, but I have also seen pictures of the pulleys mounted on the top of the boat, right behind the handles.

Does anyone have any pics of their trolley setup? I need to get going on this project, because crappie fishing requires a good anchor system to stay on the fish!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well this isn't my best pics I ever took and I didn't take the time to pull my trailer out of the garage, but you should be able to get the idea of how I did mine:

Bow:

Stern:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You can see some pictures of mine in this post -
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=22283

Here is a response to a question that I posted in the topic at the link a above:

Thanks! That's a Hobie Anchor Trolley kit. I installed it myself, pretty much following the instructions. I did follow the suggestion of installing the bow pulley about 18 inches from the front, as opposed to 12 inches, to clear most of the heavy curve. That should keep the lines from popping up on top of the boat. The top line is about 1.5 inches below the top edge. Note that the bungee length plus the gap between the anchor hook and the bungee keep the anchor hook about 12 inches off the front pulley. I wondered if this would negatively impact positioning flexibility, but I found that the boat did swing around completely when I positioned it all the way forward. I installed the holder clip midway between the front of the hand rail and the accessory board on the inside of the boat, an inch or two below the top of the gunnel. I tried it on Sunday and it worked great.

TDK

In some pictures I see that people don't use the piece of bungee chord that is provided with the Hobie kit. Don't leave this out! I've learned from unfortunate experience that you want some stretch available in your trolley line in case you get in a tough spot.

The trolley is a great mod!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the reply!

Does the trolley set back that far from the front not pose any problems?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Xi Bowhunter wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

Does the trolley set back that far from the front not pose any problems?

It hasn't been a problem at all for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Anchor trolly is a good start. Understanding how to use it safely is essential. Here's a quick video that explains how to rig for quick release. PLEASE, for the sake of safety understand how this works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WglOaACZe1E

Also, I would suggest you always keep a sharp knife (like a small dive knife) on your person at all times. With that much line in the water, tangling is a real possibility. Attaching that knife to your PFD is a good idea. Of course, that is contingent on actually wearing your PFD all the time, which is also a good idea.