Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I shudder to think of anyone raising their sail in the parking lot. Just say no. Just because you got away with it once or twice does not mean that bad things can't happen the next time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While watching the guys setting up for the race a couple weeks ago, I noticed one of them had a great set up for protecting the other end of the hulls while using Catrax. He had taken a handful of the pool noodles and cut them in half, then used shock cord thru the middle to make a cradle that strapped over the hull to hold it in position. When resting on concrete it protects the hulls that would 'drag' or set on the ground, and are held in place so that if you have to turn it quickly they follow the boat, and aren't just sitting on the ground. I took a picture and will try to post it later.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am new to Hobie's, 1 month. I have launched my Getaway from the trailer a few times with the main raised and the jib furled. I also do not attach the main sheet until I am away from the ramp. I think that the main being raised does not present to much of a problem on a Getaway for two reasons, the lack of a boom on the main and 400 plus pounds of weight. I have only done this in moderate winds, 5-10 mph and I don't think that I would do it in anything much heavier, not so much out of concern for flipping the boat, but to keep from abusing the main, which was just replaced. If anyone has a different opinion, or has knowledge of a Getaway having problems being launched this way please let me know.

I don't believe I would try it with a lighter boat, or one with a boom. If the main were sheeted in, it would be asking to see the boat really fly and if the main was not sheeted, I can't imagine the possible damage to the boat or owner, if that boom started to flop around.

Post subject: Where are you sailing
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm guessing Freeman or Eagle Creek.

I've raised the main in the lot before launching in light wind but just didn't pin the clew to the outhaul till I was at the dock. We left 2 tiedowns on until we were on the ramp.

I'm learning that each launch has to be thought through individually with particular attention to wind speed and direction

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I raise the sails in the lot and leave mainshet unhooked. Also the tie downs should remain hooked. Once backed onto the ramp, take the tie downs off and push the cat off the traier and turn into the wind. While the trailer is parked, hook the main sheet to the sail, hop on, bear off, unfurl the jib and sail away. Loading ontothe trailer is a different matter. I usually sail it up onto the trainer, let the main go, furl the jib and sit on the front crossbar, feet on the trailer while it is driven up the ramp.When the wind is good, one can sail all the way up onto the trailer. Like loading a power boat.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is a really bad idea. Catamarans should not be driven around parking lots on trailers with the mainsail up. You may have gotten away with doing this in light wind, but if there's any siginificant breeze, it's a recipe for disaster. You risk breaking your mainsail battens or even having the boat and trailer capsize. If you have an onshore breeze, taking the boat off the trailer with the sails up will also be a bear and it's likely that the boat will want to take off and sail up the ramp while you're unstrapping it and spinning it around. Much better to leave the sail down until you've got the boat head to wind and are ready to sail.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Wave's sail is easy to raise when on the water and the mainsheet block is easy to hook to the sail. If they were all that easy, more people wouldn't be trying to raise them in parking lots. That and the fact docks and concrete ramps play merry hell with fiberglass hulls. Beach cats are not made with dock protection in mind.

Lack of good beach launching spots is a real shame. Nothing nicer than being able to stand in knee-deep calm water and raise a sail and then walk around a boat, jump on, clip on the main sheet block and go. It's hilarious to try to screw a bow shackle onto a boom while at the back of a boat with wind and waves pushing the bow of the boat around. Yeah, quick pins...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

been doing it for 25 years. Don't shudder too hard