Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New H-Bar
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My H-bars arrived today. Just finished installing the first pair. They're very well made, easy to install and work as advertised.

In the event you find that some of your present accessories mounted to the starboard require you to set the rear H-bar mounting pieces further forward that you may like, you can shorten the rear bars to allow the main bar to reach further back towards your standing position. Of course, this may not be necessary depending on where you want that top bar located.

I did one thing different from the instructions - I removed the rod holder tube bezels, slipped them back a quarter inch out of the way, and removed and then re-installed the front inside starboard mounting bolts into the forward mounting hole on the H-bar forward mounts. This not only puts them in a workable position, but allows you to use one of the boat's present mounting points for mounting the H-bar. You will have to enlarge the forward mounting hole to accommodate the larger mounting screw on the starboard.

Overall I think it's a very worthwhile addition to the Pro Angler, particularly since you can easily fold it out of the way when not in use. Hobie did a nice job on this accessory.

One caveat - the H-bar becomes a lever. A boat that was previously very difficult to tip over becomes very possible to tip over if you should lose your balance and grab the bar top as you topple over. Use your head and remember the bar is intended to help steady you, not make the boat more stable.

Post subject: Re: New H-Bar
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Pictures, please...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TroutNoDoubt wrote:
Pictures, please...

x2!
I would like to see pictures of the H bar deployed with you sitting in the yak and with you standing in the yak at the H bar. It would be nice to see how the H bar is mounted to the PA too.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Since I am always looking at youtube videos of things I am planning on getting when I actually purchase a PA, I thought I'd post this here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSIMuLj0Vnw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpxsa5GDQTw[/youtube]

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice video. Very helpful in understanding the ins and outs of the install...

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Right, the only thing different we did was to utilize the inboard, front starboard mounting screw for the front mounting point of the H-bar mounting pad. It did require removing the rod holder mount/bezel so you can get your hand under there to hold the lock-nut, and a little longer screw, but the width between them is exactly the proper width for the H-bar.

I'll try to get some photos up early this coming week.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I picked up my H bar last night but too bad all the parts where not in it, it was missing the 8 mounting bolts, washers and nuts, so I will have to wait to mount it