Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My PA's rudder system does not work well. I have to manually pull the rudder down and manually push the rudder back up in place. The pull string seems to be working but the rudder does not work as it should.

Is there something that I need to know to adjust the rudder assy so it works as normal? That is why I was trying to remove the rudder pin, thought I could adjust the rudder with the "two screws; philips and straight".

Since I could not get the roll pin out, I could not repair anything. Is there something else I need to try?

thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:05 am 
Site Admin

You would need to pull the roll pin and drop the rudder down out of the hull to see what is going on. I suspect some corrosion / binding in the hinge point.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How does the roll pin come out? I tried numerous times hitting with a small nail only to bend the nail. Is there an easy way to remove the roll pin?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:57 am 
Site Admin

Should just push through, but if rust is present, you may need more force. We had a few issues with the roll pins: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=32427

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

well after reading pi lvr83 's post i decide to pull the rudder pin out on my new 2011 pa, after i had 2010 rudder stick and forgetting how i got my rudder pin out. so when i tryed to get it out it was stuck so i hit it with a flathead on the end a couple times till it came out far enough where i could grab it with a pair of needle nose... when i did it shatterd but was still stuck, so i finally got it out after some pb blaster and the end of saw file...lol its out and ready to be replace with a stainless steel cotter pin, now i dont have to worry about shattering with im on the water! thanks for this post.. it also helps to push the rudder up hard and tap down on the plate where the rudder pin is on so it relieves some off the pressure