Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: THE TI3 PROJECT
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go for it C2Y! No more wet okole! Promise.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fly4v wrote:
When Household 6 saw the haka benchs on the AI, the first thing she said was why not have decking on the whole thing. :lol:
Sharp lady. Tell her this is just for her. :-)

Last edited by NOHUHU on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And this is for our friends, off camping at Fraser Island. :D

Last edited by NOHUHU on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Evil smoke monster that changes form to be more tempting. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Taking my time, but about 1/2 through building a set for my TI. The problem I am anticipating the Aka benches will be resolving, is placement of my Eagle Cuda 350 Sonar/GPS. While trying to determine if I should mount the device in the front seat, or near the back seat, I believe the bench will provide a solution for both.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NOHUHU,

Great series of posts of your experimentation and progress. I'm brand new to the Tandem Island and have only gotten about six hours on it now in the past week or so and winter is closing in. I think you are taking a great boat to a new level and opening up even more possibilities.

I suspect you already have had some thoughts on it but would a single harka spanning all three akas (for rigidity) and various combinations of harka widths, materials, and mesh tramp material inboard have any additional benefits or do you think the additional rigidity would just be too stiff and lead to breakage rather the movement when needed?

You've opened up quite an innovative line of thinking for the HTI, one I'm sure Hobie never envisioned. You're in Steve Jobs and Burt Rutan territory! Not a bad place to be... thanks for taking us all along for the ride, Rich

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Rich. We're not flying quite that high out here, but we do "think different". :lol:

The benches worked out so well that the boat's owner decided to scrap the plan for custom full tramps on the rear cockpit. We are still toying with the idea of half tramps to combine with the Hakas.

A full 12' bench would have proved difficult to build, transport and store so we have been refining the "universal Haka" idea. It's modular this way and can be used on any AI or TI. You can just overlap the edges now if you want and put them in a straight line.

My original idea was to build 6' interlocking Haka halves that would span all the Akas as one continuous bench. This would have added weight and maybe limited their use though.

Once you add the Aka crossbar behind the rear seat, there are lots of possibilities to explore
- a smaller "batwing" seat for the pilot
- rod holders/arrays
- mounts for downriggers and trolling motors,...

Last edited by NOHUHU on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
... Skirts help but don't solve the problem of drag

:shock: Ummm ... we ARE talking about the boat here, N'est Pas ?

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well - Anything can happen on a boat - (and usually does). :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great Idea. Looks awesome. So does that water. :mrgreen: Heading out to the Big Island Tuesday. Is there any TI groups over there yet?

San Jose, California
TI - AUG- 2010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wile-E-Kayak if your looking for a way to get wet give these guys a try.

http://www.plentypupule.com/tours.htm

Never used their tour but have done business with their shop.
Great bunch of people. Hope you have a good trip.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Much Thanks. Will check into them.

San Jose, California
TI - AUG- 2010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aloha everyone and Happy Thanksgiving.

(In this episode, the TI3 sails deep water and visits the last Tiki Bar while seeing the post Japan Tsunami damage up close.)

We took advantage of some big wind last weekend to perform open water stress tests on the TI3. Had a great day offshore, sailing and fishing in 600-2000ft depths from The Honolulu Airport to Diamond head. Winds gusting from 20-30 mph. Moderate swells and chop, except for a few gales. This was expected to be the serious test for the boat in dual Haka mode - and for us.

Here's the view going out:

ImageImage
[Image

Offshore, the TI3 sailed like a champ, powering upwind thru 2-4 ft wind chop, some 3 miles offshore. Close hauled, we hung in there with a couple larger sailboats. At first, I was hesitant to ride the Haka benches, but soon did it gladly, cuz the front seat was a bathtub most of the time.

To fix this, I adjusted my position aft of the middle Akas, and I was really able to pull the bow up as needed. I rode without a leash, moving around freely while the captain stayed strapped in. Riding the benches allowed us to take aggressive tacks against side swells and wind that would have huli'd the boat if we had been fitted with tramps and stayed in our seats.

We averaged 4-6 knots upwind and nearly twice that running with the wind and surfing. For the downwind surfing run we swapped jobs, but not seats. I piloted while Gary was hanging ten on the new "rear deck".

Downwind, we flew 8-10 knots much of the time and we both took baths. We had so much fun, we sped right past the channel entrance and needed to double back.

Back inside Keehi Lagoon, the sheltered sailing felt like skating on ice. I sailed standing up on the benches for awhile, enjoying the view.

We were pretty cold and wet, so we sailed over to find the last authentic Tiki bar on the island, to warm up.

Our destination was happy hour at La Mairanas Sailing Club. The last time I sailed in to this private marina, there were 100 nicely maintained mini yachts- all docked in nice neat symmetrical slips.

The recent tsunami from Japan changed all that.

It was a bit of a boat boneyard now, and the docks were twisted wrecks. Boats huddled at all angles to whatever cleat they could find (many were even back to back) and the scattered piers were loosely patched together with chains, rope and rotting ply. (Everything but duct tape).

We found an open slip without too many nails and headed in.

It turns out that walking across the floating debris, to and from the shoreline restaurant, was the most dangerous part of our day.

Fortunately, the historic Tiki bar was untouched, looking just as kitschy as the day it was opened in 1957, (even though the whole operation was moved 50 ft down shore, complete with palm trees, at one point in its history). This place is the real deal. http://www.lamarianasailingclub.com/

The Tikis were in great shape, Same goes for the food, the service and the grog. They even have a cool bartender with a waxed handlebar mustache.

Have a look around:

ImageImage

Relaxing with a tropical drink and checking out the marina, one is reminded that not all shipwrecks occur at sea. It only takes a tidal surge of a couple feet to do this much of damage, and the scale of destruction felt in Japan was impossible to measure.

This was not the first tsunami La Mariana has survived. On Thanksgiving, I am grateful this little gem was spared.

If you ever stop by Oahu, check it out while you still can. See ya there at happy hour.

Last edited by NOHUHU on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome work guys! Great post, thanks for sharing your ideas they look great and are very tempting. I especially like the tiki bar plug. I almost forgot about that place! I was taken there the first day I moved to Oahu but hadnt considered that I could sail to it now with the TI!!!! hhhmmmmmm

Aloha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A year has passed since the Japan Quake and Tsunami disaster, and the recovery there grinds painfully along. Meanwhile, in Hawaii, we are tracking the debris field circulating in the pacific and getting some cleanup work of our own done.

Sailing near Honolulu Harbor, I was surprised by the progress being made in Keehi Boat Harbor. Gone are the trashed boats, docks and pilings you saw in my last pictures. The Marina has been rebuilt with straight and solid new berths.

The trip to the Tiki Bar just became a whole lot easier and safer.

Suck 'em up, Brah!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next