Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boat problems?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a couple of problem with my boat and I'd like to get some advise.

The first is I recently noticed that the forestay is starting to fray. One of the strands has come lose at the bottom. I tried to take a picture of the lose strand but it didn't come out very well. Does one lose cable strand mean it's time to replace the cable? Can I just clip the lose strand and forget about it?

The second is the plate that attaches the shroud to the starboard side of the boat is starting to rust and has left a streak of rust on the side of the boat. In the picture I added a penny for reference. Is this anything to worry about?

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Boat problems?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can clip the strand and forget about it as long as you're ok with the mast falling down in the near future... Seriously though, this is a clear sign that the forestay needs to be replaced immediately. It also looks like it's kinked near the swage fitting, so there's no way you should continue to use that wire. Ideally, you would replace all of the standing rigging as a set (shrouds, forestay, & bridle wires).

As far as the shroud anchor plate, it's probably not an issue. However, you may want to pull the bolts and give everything a thorough inspection. Possibly replace the plate or bolts if they look corroded.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Replace all wires, even the trap wires as any wire failure leads to a really bad day.

The shroud anchor rust is normal. Miles Wood used to say "it's stainless, not stain free". You should however look at the integrity of the solid inside plate. if the rust is coming from a failing plate (think hidden crack behind the outside helper plate) then the new shrouds will not keep the mast up. I replaced these plates this year on a 20 year old 20 as one of the plates failed while stored on the trailer with the mast up. The helper plate did its job and kept everything together.

By the way, when was the last time you saw Miles quoted here? I miss his crazy energy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Miles was at the 40th in Dana point. When talking about starting, he would say "If you want a good seat you have to get there early"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you are see rust or ware on wires or pins it is good idea to replace all of them. It is bad news to ruins your sailing fun time when you have and unexpected break down. Hobie has a good link for parts on the H-20 Your local dealer should be able to help you get what you need. If not we would gladly help you! 1-855-4GO-HOBIE (446-4624) Mikey