Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thats a nice looking cart. Almost bought one. Too bad it is a leave behind.

The pads can adjust to almost any angle.
The tug fits the contours of the nose well. I pulled the scupper cart last night and supported the tail with a stack of foam but left the tug under the nose.
I don't normally leave the AI together and on the carts but was very lazy.
Everything was in the kayak except the drive.
There was no deforming of the hull. The scupper cart would have made a serious dent.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is why I was lazy last night. I kept everything rigged so I could quickly finish this.

Thank you Slaughter, ChrisJ, and not the least Summer65.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=33517&start=0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLoXdtGovj0

This is the Explorer Deluxe with 70D hex from Hennessy Hammocks.
The stainless steel fittings are from Jamestown Distributors.
Much better than the poncho hooch and cargo net that I have been using in the woods for two decades.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here it is without the rain hex for under the asteroid sleeping.

Sucks that winter is seems to be coming early. I want some of that global warming so I can enjoy these camping mods.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The parachute cord is rated at 550 lbs.
The stainless steel hardware at 400 lbs.
The hammock at 300 lbs.
PVC pipe under compression ?????. Hope not to discover if that is the point of failure.

The 2011 crossbars have the release buttons to worry about so I cut the T fitting to accommodate.
The yellow duct tape is a reference to keep the back support inline with the front.
The side elastic on the hammock is tied of to the cleats on the NOHUHU benchs.
Also the hammock rope enters and exits the interior (port) eye nut in an effort to keep the weight centered on the kayak.

The rain hex without hammock will be excellent for peddling on a sunny light/no wind day, "The Hobie Adventure Island cabin cruiser".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Outstanding! Love the fly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very neat. My only concern is the PVC 'T' connection at the crossbars. I've done the calc's on the pipe and it's fine, but that 'T' piece must be free to pivot and I'm worried with mine (and yours and Chris's) that if you get a rock up in the hammock for whatever reason, the 'T' piece may slip sideways and down you go ( along with the other person that made it rock in the first place ). To explian what I mean, if you get a pen and stand it end on the table and push down with your finger on the top, you don't have to get the pen very far off centre before it slips at the table surface. I think the connection needs something to prevent sideways slip. I dunno, just a thought.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

Last edited by Slaughter on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slide on a couple pipe clamps.
And EZ does it while "gettin busy".

(Yes those go on the Akas) :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not quite dynamic rollover/exceeding the critical angle but the result is the same.
I went back and looked at your photos. The front T is locked by the mast receiver and the crossbar mount. That is half the problem.
The back.... yeah that will go over. The guy lines to the eye nuts help some and could be added to the bottom of the PVC... like you have the single horizontal line on your nose from the aka to the hammock suspension rope.

The hose clamp will do the job. The good thing is they are reusable but then need to break out tools tighten them.
Zip ties will also do the job. They don't require tools for setup but need to be cut for tear down and can't be reused.
Perhaps a 1" cargo strap or a bungee around the either side of the T would be enough.

None of my PVC fittings are glued. I bought the cement but haven't used it yet.
Those uprights make an interesting sound the first time they are under load.
Almost added a different color brown to the hammock.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I meant to ask you about the absence of blue glue. I thought you were just remarkably neat. :wink:

Avoiding tools, a couple winds of good 1" double sided velcro may be all you need to keep the bases in place. Though a true compression fitting is a safer when things start to rockin.

For that, a TI3 in full party barge Haka mode is preferred. :mrgreen:

Last edited by NOHUHU on Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmm. The hammock is rated at 300 lb static load. One average male plus one average female in the hammock would weigh about 240 lb to begin with (assuming Slaughter is envisaging only one female). Add a few impact forces and you would be seriously stressing the hammock.
I've never glued my T's on. The forces are all compressive anyway. Also never had a problem with the T's sliding sideways, though I admit I've never stressed them as errrr vigorously as Slaughter is suggesting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm thinking either NOHUHU's clamps or a couple of Stauff brackets at the rear 'T'. The front one should probably be right due to the mast reciever and the Aka release button. And then it's all systems go, lock up your daughters. (who am I kidd'n).

You're right about the creak'n though. I don't know if you noticed or not but in summer65's video he had the rear upright fixed in some way rather than pivoted and the whole post looked like a huge banana. Poor old summer was oblivious to it all cause he was nice and comfy, smiling and waving from his new hammock.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fly4v wrote:
The scupper cart would have made a serious dent.

Fly4v,
If that's the case you haven't adjusted the collars correctly. They should be moved up the cart post until the bottom of the hull is just clear of the crossbar. Adding tennis balls helps to cushion the scuppers.
I found the opposite with the C-Tug and while the cradles adjust to any angle they aren't flexible. I had dents from where the flat cradles touched the hull when I tried to wheel my TI solely on the C-Tug. It worked better as a secondary cart up front like yours but I still prefer the scupper cart.
Great post BTW. Very impressive mods and documentation! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
I don't know if you noticed or not but in summer65's video he had the rear upright fixed in some way rather than pivoted and the whole post looked like a huge banana. Poor old summer was oblivious to it all cause he was nice and comfy, smiling and waving from his new hammock.

Yeah, Phil had his T's pre-fixed to the crossbars with hose clamps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

stringy wrote:
Fly4v wrote:
The scupper cart would have made a serious dent.

Fly4v,
If that's the case you haven't adjusted the collars correctly. They should be moved up the cart post until the bottom of the hull is just clear of the crossbar. Adding tennis balls helps to cushion the scuppers.

Stringy,
I have had the collars as tight as possible and they slip.
I think "fully" loaded to the cart is over loaded. The tires are marked 88lbs, I hope that works out to 176lbs total.
I did replace Hobie's black foam and cover with a piece of blue noodle.
I will definitely use the tennis balls. Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think he means "height adjusted" so that the scuppers don't bare the brunt of the load. There should be 3 points of contact, and the blue noodle should take 1/3 or more of the total weight. (Too much - as with a TI, and the rod will snap)

+1 to the tennis balls idea. Together with the noodle and balloon tyres, that should spread the load as much as possible. Sometimes, after adding tennis balls, you have to loosen the collars or remove them to maintain the 3 point contact.

So how does that baby roll with 4 wheels?

Last edited by NOHUHU on Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next