Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winter Storage
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am thinking about removing the tramp and net for the winter, hoping that will make them last longer. It doesn't seem like it would be to difficult to re-install them, but I have never done it before. Is the trouble re-installing them not worth the gain of storing them inside for the winter?

Also I am wondering about shrink wrapping the hulls and mast for the winter. I thought this might keep the hulls looking new longer. Any thoughts on this?

Post subject: Re: Winter Storage
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Easy to do and well worth it. Might take a picture of the lacing pattern. Don't forget to wash and dry on removal, don't wait till spring. I have an 02 and replaced the originals after the 3rd season. The replacement set still looks good with annual removal. I do alternate top up sides on the net from one season to the next to average out the uv aging. The original bench covers gave out this year but I am not going to replace them until spring. Shrink wrap if you like. Of course it will keep things looking newer. My 02 is definitely faded and the decals are looking ragged, but the mast shows no significant aging.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was just thinking about the same thing.
I was planning store it on the trailer and to build an A frame tent out of 2x4's to support the mast over all three cross bars and cover it with a tarp.

Any Getaway owners out there doing this or do most remove the tramps?
My boat is in NH = heavy snow load, but I go up there frequently in the winter to ski and snowmobile, so I could clear it off.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We're in MN, so lots of snow, and very cold.

We have taken the tramps off ever year, and stored the hulls outside (with the mast on as well). This year we took the mast off and put it under the deck for some better protection, but the hulls are still out in the cold.

As mentioned, the decals are a bit worse for the wear, but not too bad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I watched the Hobie videos to see how the tramp and net are installed so I can remove them for winter storage. The videos show how the tramp and net slide in the track on the sides, but don't show how the net attaches to the mast crossbar. Is there a track along the crossbar that the net slides through? When installing the tramp and net you have an "end" to grab to pull them through the tracks on each side. How do you "pull" the tramp and net when removing them? Any info/tips on how to remove them would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've had my Getaway for 2 full seasons now and this will be my 3rd winter storage. The first winter I tried an inflatable air pillow (like those used under pool cover). Removed all rigging and wings and layed the pillow on the tramp then covered with poly tarp. Kept losing air out of the pillows and fought with it all winter to keep snow weight off. Last year, I built a frame out of 2x4 and tented the tarp over the horizontal mast. It worked alright but tenting it got involved and still had to make sure snow wasn't too deep on the tarp. Even with the high peak of the tent, it still sagged in between framing with the weight of the snow and built up over time if not manually removed. This year I decided to try removing the tramp and disassemble the boat. Only took me a couple hours to take apart and store everything. Everything is in my garage except the mast and hulls. The mast is suspended under my deck and covered in plastic and the hulls are lying on their sides on the trailer covered by a poly tarp.

To remove the tramp, I started by unlacing the main tramp and front tramp. Then, standing in the middle of the boat behind the center cross bar (where your main tramp was laced up), reach under the front tramp with one hand the place your other hand on top to sandwich the front tramp between your hands close to the hull and slide the front tramp back towards the center cross bar. Alternate between both sides, a few inches at a time until it's out of the hull guides. Then just slide it out of the center cross bar (there is a track in the cross bar itself for the front tramp and another track for the main tramp). The main tramp can be done the same way but without the alternating sides since it's split into two pieces. After removing the tramps, take out the bolt from each side of the front cross bar and the hulls should slide off the cross bars pretty easily.

I definately recommend taking the boat apart or at least removing the tramps for winter. I should have done it sooner. Very easy and takes all the worry of snow load out of the equation. Also an added benefit is half a year of no tension on the tramp which may lead to extended life (maybe, who knows). It was acutally quicker to take the boat apart than to build the frame for the cover. Once the tramps are off, the boat almost falls apart on it's own. I bought mine used (it's a 2002) in 2009. It was never taken apart since new, sat on a beach all winter for 7 years and I had no trouble at all taking it apart after all that time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I live in WI and am storing my Getaway for the first time as well. I have it tarped up pretty good, but am wondering if I should leave the plugs in or out for the winter. Does anyone have a preference or know if extreme temperature or pressure changes affect the hulls if the plugs are left in? Thanks...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

On amazon, they sell bike lifts ($12) and canoe lifts that could be used to hang the hulls from your garage ceiling. The bike lifts might not be strong enough but they sell beefier versions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used to keep my 17 in my garage, suspended from the ceiling. I bought hardware store pulleys and ropes, had some seat belt webbing stitched onto D
rings at a shoe repair place, and pulled the boat up off the trailer so I could shove the trailer back during the summer, and pulled it to the ceiling, tarped the trailer outside, and could park my car under the boat in the winter. I'll probably do the same when I buy a Getaway.

Too many canoes and kayaks