Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Check out this video of the new Fluid Bamba. They used an idea where they flare out the scupper hole so you can externally mount a transducer and it fits up in the flare out. So the transducer ends up flush with the hull, you don't have anything stick out below the hull to grab weeds or get crushed on coral.

Great idea, would love to see this on AI and TI boats, probably would be great on any kayak!

http://www.youtube.com/user/DevOCEANs1# ... lEk1WtXN8Q

JG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why would you bother when you can simply attach the transducer to the inside of the hull with goop, and completely avoid any damage while getting accurate readings?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

tonystott,

Found mounting my transducer inside the hull affects my sonar returns. Especially with the smaller and less powerful fish finders commonly found on kayaks. Despite their spec'd depth ratings, they're reduced when used in saltwater.

Here in Hawaii, kayaks frequent waters over 50 - 100+ fathoms deep. A strong return in deep water could mean the detection of some of our most prized "Deep 7" bottomfish. Or the detection of a deep dropoff and/or bottom contour that's showing some signs of upwelling that tend to hold pelagics.

Jolly,

We can only hope Hobie is listening.

c2y

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The best we usually see is 600 ft thru the Hobie hulls but <300 ft is more typical.

I was surprised when we had sporadic sonar returns on the TI3 in 1600+ ft of water off Waikiki this weekend.

That's when I realized that, at some point, I'd rather not know,..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I believe Ocean kayaks designed this into one there models too. i guess its only a matter of time for Hobie. the easier it is for the customer to get on the water and fish...the easier it is for the manufacture to sell.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I haven't lost anything shooting through the hull, but I don't glue the transducer down. It sits snugly in a foam cut out that has a capful of water poured onto it. Any air spaces are filled with water and there are no bubbles to interfere with anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

EuroKayaker wrote:
I believe Ocean kayaks designed this into one there models too. i guess its only a matter of time for Hobie. the easier it is for the customer to get on the water and fish...the easier it is for the manufacture to sell.

The prowler Tridents have a modified scupper which fits a humminbird transducer.

I had BOTH the through the scupper transducer and I had one goop mounted to the inside of the hull. in water less than 100' deep there was no discernible performance difference. I ended up just using the through the hull system.

As I understand it, the only drawback to the through the hull setup is that some low end units that don't have much power can have issues in deep water...

So the way I read it is if your fishing deep water and using a low power unit then a scupper mount may be needed.

I wasn't thrilled with the scupper mount, when pounding out through the surf drainage becomes important, and l didn't like the idea of losing 1/4 of my drainage.