Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm an avid kayaker, and Ive owned a few powerboats. Ive never even really though about a sailboat, at my local lake where I kayak and boat I have never seen a sailboat. Till yesterday.

All I could do was sit there and mumble "my god that looks fun" over and over and over.

"fun" is is the only prerequisite I have for purchases of this kind..

I did some browsing and it seems the wave fits my needs and at only around $5100 seems like a reasonable deal.

I will make the purchase as soon as I find one for sale in my area (south TX)

My question regards transport.

I assume the boat will come without a trailer, currently I transport my sea kayaks on the roof rack of my Tacoma, I have the 4 door long bed with the rails on the roof.. So aside from buying a trailer before getting the boat, what are my options? I'm guessing I could disassemble the boat and put it in the bed (with a bed extender if needed) but I gather that is not something I'm going to want to deal with every time I want to go sail is it?

so, harbor freight utility trailer, couple of 2x4s and a 6 pack? Thoughts? ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Wave is a lot of fun and it is very simple to sail. It's about as bare bones as it can be, minimal lines, not too many moving parts. That said it can also really move once you master the basics and it will fly past most dinghy's out there. It's a great first boat.
You could take it apart and transport it in your truck but that is going to add a bit of time to each trip to the lake. There are 2 different trampolines and one is a lot easier to break down and such than the other. I had a small boat trailer from a Sunfish I own and I have modified that to carry the Wave. I used 2 pieces of 2x4 and some U bolts to attach it to the trailer. I used 2 pieces of 2x4 under the bow for 2 reason. First since this is a boat trailer it has a v shaped area in the front and the unsupported length of wood was a lot longer than in the back. The first time I took it to the lake the front was a bit too bouncy so I add the second piece to stiffen it up. As an added benefit it makes the boat ride in a more level position because the skegs on the back of the hulls raise them up. I can still use the trailer for the Sunfish too as the bunks don't get in the way of the Wave. Could probably have them both on at once but I haven't tried. Now I am not sure if I would go far with just 2x4's. For a long trip I would want something better. Now with a square utility trailer your 2x4 will be better supported than mine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, $5100 does not get you a trailer. There is also a $299 shipping/delivery charge.

Used ones pop up on occastion. Keep your eye on SailingTexas.com site.
For example:
http://sailingtexas.com/201101/shobiewave112.html

Hobie Venture Island are also popular (although not for me).
http://www.hobiecat.com/sailboats/adventure-island/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

the Adventure island will not get going as fast as a Wave, no matter how good you are, (going to get it for that one I know it). But that might not be important to the op. However the AI can be several different boats depending on your mood, standard kayak, foot powered kayak, add amas for better stability while exploring or fishing as a kayak, or full on sailboat. Pretty diverse. Keep looking, my Wave was free! Given to me by a family friend. The Wave is also great for taking out friends or kids, something that is a lot tougher on an AI or even a TI. Not impossible but not as easy (going to get it for that too) :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well i found dealer that said they had a display model discounted ti 4700. they knocked 400 off but they are charging 200 for assembly because its put together, and then another 700 for freight fee even if i pick it up..... No trailer. So important going to shop around a bit more. I called and emailed the one listed in this thread. so far no reply.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

4 mo. ago I was also shopping for a cat. Like you, I've just got an idea that a cat could be fun. I've tried TI demo, which was fun, but really wanted a "real boat". Finally, I've got a used H17. OK, H17 was a steep learning curve, but I am glad I've done this. I am sure, I would have enjoyed a Wave, but by taking a plunge, I know, I will be happy with this boat for years to come. Oh yeah, my H17 can smoke a Wave any day. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jackB wrote:
... Finally, I've got a used H17..... Oh yeah, my H17 can smoke a Wave any day....

I took the opposite route of jackB, I wanted a Getaway, after having an Adventure Island. I looked at what it would take to assemble, store, and use a Getaway, and then ended up finding a great deal on a used Bravo. I bought the Bravo. (as a "for now" boat)

Guys who sail the 16's and 17's and other Hobie's always talk about their speed, but if you skim the forums, they'll also be full of stories about their maintenance. Nothing wrong with those boats, and maybe I'll end up with one some day, but the Bravo, Wave, Getaway family of boats is SO low maintenance, it's not even funny. Less maintenance, means more sailing time.

Also, about speed. If speed were the only factor in fun, we'd all be on motorboats. My A.I. was slower than my Bravo, but it was still a lot of fun. More fun than many larger boats! I've been out on some pretty fast sailboats, and there's no question that speed is fun, but you know what I realized, especially for a beginner? Simplicity is also a lot of fun. Sailing a slower boat fast, is often as much, or more fun then sailing a faster boat slow. A Wave and a Bravo will be very easy to right after a capsize. If you're a beginner, knowing that you can push things right to the limit, will make you a better sailor, than always worrying about tipping, and having to back off.

If I have 1 hour to sail, I can get my boat from trailer to water in five minutes. Literally! That leaves 50 minutes to sail, and another 5 minutes to put everything back on the trailer, and secure. Guys with the 16's and 17's just aren't doing that if they're relying on trailers.

I love my Bravo, it's the fastest dingy on the lakes that I sail on. I'm often able to beat some large Cabin Cruising boats on Lake Ontario.

You can always move up, if speed is what you want. But sailing a boat like the Wave, (or even my Bravo) is a great way to learn to sail, without having to learn about all of the maintenance. My advice, Get a trailer. When you're new, you want to sail, not assemble. It's worth the money. I had mine custom built, and it's a huge time saver!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
Sailing a slower boat fast, is often as much, or more fun then sailing a faster boat slow.

I have to disagree...

Sailing a faster boat fast is always more fun then sailing a slower boat slow.

Then, I remember having a lot of fun on a couch, at zero velocity... And no rigging required. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Less maintenance, means more sailing time.
+1

Quote:
...if you skim the forums, they'll also be full of stories about their maintenance
+1. More ability to enjoy tinkering with boats is required with the higher performance cats. That Wave on Sailing Texas looks like a good deal.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

JJ wrote:
Quote:
Less maintenance, means more sailing time.
+1

Quote:
That Wave on Sailing Texas looks like a good deal.

Yea if the guy would call me back or return my e-mails I would go get to today.

:(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have sailed a 16 for decades.
Of course other Hobie's may be higher performing than the wave.
I will be sailing solo for most of the time.
I would have gotten a 16 if I could right it no matter the weather. Or even a getaway. Storage and ease of use are also a factors.

The wave does not fly a hull as well or get moving as fast as others, but I am sure I will be able to right it when needed.

Lee.

PS. No complaints on the rigging on the couch.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I shopped around for new ones for a while.
I only saw 5199 as the standard price and 299 the standard shipping to residence or "commercial truck terminal". That was for east coast dealers.
700 seems out of line for shipping. Maybe due to distance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

lwright wrote:
I shopped around for new ones for a while.
I only saw 5199 as the standard price and 299 the standard shipping to residence or "commercial truck terminal". That was for east coast dealers.
700 seems out of line for shipping. Maybe due to distance.

The $700 was if i came and picked it up, not to ship it to me.

HE said thats what it cost for him to get it shipped to him from California, and that any dealer would charge that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here, a couple of references with a prices for a new Wave

http://www.westcoastsailing.net/sailboa ... llrec.html

http://shop.foghmarine.com/browse.cfm/c ... 2,192.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Im looking right at $6000 for a new in the box, classic edition, shipped to my door from Dallas.

Guess thats the bullet I will have to bite.