Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broken tiller connector
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This weekend I broke one of the tiller connectors on my new wave. The new connector is a urathane tendon with screws from each side that do not meet in the middle. I broke it as I was unloading the boat so I'm not really sure how it happened. The reason I am posting is to give a heads up on the quick fix that saved the day of sailing. I through bolted the tiller with a 10-24x3" bolt, a nylock nut, and washers, using the broken tendon as a spacer/shock absorber. This got me back on the water in just a few minutes. You may want to keep two of these bolts on hand in case the tendon breaks. It will save you a trip to the marine hardware store.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

:lol: We have five Waves in our Program at Sail Sand Point in Seattle. Our boats get heavy use. Broken Tendons is a common problem. The thru bolt solution only works for a short time. We have "up graded" our connectors using used cross bars from old H-16's, with standard H-16 connectors. Also, you can use the H-20 connectors. I noticed the Waves in Maui had similar modifications.
Caleb

Post subject: Upgrade
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

We have a re-designed part for the Wave and Getaway...to get away from the tendons. When you bend them over hard, they get cut by the internal screw.

There is a "Club" ungrade kit for rental and heavy use. That is part number 1956 $112.50 This is a new tiller crossbar and similar fittings to the M20 connectors, but uses a fixed bolt rather than the bungee and clip.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

:) Thanks Matt. Looks like a good solution. We will keep that one in mind.
Caleb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm a little embarrassed to agree that the through bolt is a temporary solution at best. After sailing with it one day, and playing around with it on the trailer, the bolt broke.

After looking at the tendon, I think it twisted off. It looks like a spiral fracture. I am going to add a little lubricant to the tendon when I get the new part to see if that fixes the problem. I am also not going to crank it past snug. I'll let you know if this solves the problem. I hope so because I like the simplicity of the system. If not, I'll look at one of the other solutions.

Thanks Matt for sending out the replacement parts. Hobie Cat is the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Say H17.
You mentioned Waves in Maui. Are there some for rent over there? We are going, and would like to go out.
Thanks

Post subject: Waves in Maui
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

There are some Waves at Whaler's Village in Maui, and also at the Grand Wahela, south of Kehi. Not sure on rates, you had to stay at the Grand Wahela to rent in the past. Do not go out too far off shore at the Whaler's Village, north west part of Maui. You can get out into the straights and off shore winds easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

:D Just noted a better reference to rentals on Maui. See the following, posted on places to sail.
Caleb

Maui Ocean Activities is the only location on Maui that rents Hobies! We have two locations on the island; one at The Grand Wailea Resort and the other at Whalers Village in Kaanapali. Come sail our Hobie Waves while taking in the scenery of Maui's beautiful coastline. For more information email [email protected] or call 808-357-8988
Mahalo
Graham Goettsch
GM Maui Ocean Activities

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any thoughts why the 1956 upgrade uses fixed bolts rather than the H20 connection rod and bungee clip. Can the bolt be replaced with the connection rod and clip. Looks like it could. This then allows easy and pull down.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

The 1956 was designed for club use where the tiller crossbar was not intended to be removed. If you wanted all the adjustments and pins with bungee clips, the Miracle 20 kit already existed as 1953.

1957 is the best kit for Waves and Getaways now (same as new stock boats). Easy tiller crossbar removal, pins with the bungee clips, but not toe in adjustment... and WAY less expensive.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)