Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

so I cut the holes for the ports and when I cut the aft one, I was right over the foam floatation. At first I was glad to see it was wrapped in plastic but then I noticed the bag was taped with masking tape. I also noticed a few holes in the bag and feared the worst, wet foam. Turns out I was right, the bottom inch to 2 inches was soaked and drown in color. It had been wet for a long time. So for the past 2 hours I have been ripping out all the foam. Don't worry I will replace it with another system for reserve floatation. What I took out probably weighs 20lbs. Remember I am not rehabing this boat for class racing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would have tried to dry it out first. With fore and aft ports, you can get a lot of air circulation through the hulls using a small desk fan. You can also stick a lamp in the hull to add some heat to really help pull the moisture out. Do this for a couple days and your hulls are likely to end up bone dry.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How do you propose drying out foam that is (mostly) sealed in a bag? There was wet foam and standing water in the bag and out. Like I said I was glad to see the bag till the masking tape, almost 20 year old masking tape, and the holes in the bag. I considered trying to remove the bag till I discovered it was about 5 feet long. When I was getting out the wet foam it was like a sponge, squeeze and you get lots of water out. Now that it is out I plan on letting the hull dry all winter. Then putting in new floatation. Possibly trying something I see in packing. Use an expanding type foam in a bag. Insert bag in hull, spray in foam, wait till dry, seal shut. It won't be as neat and tidy as the block that was put in before the deck was on but it will be floatation. Also, where the pins go into the hull at the cross bar plate, there was water on the underside of that too indicating a crack on the inside of the foam "pocket " that is under the deck level where the pins go into the hull. I inserted a drill and put a few holes in there to help get it a little drier.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rip as much of the bag as you can, it's not nessicary. It's only there to keep the Styrofoam from touching wet epoxy and melting during the production process.

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD