Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's an OK deal if it includes shipping and is new. The real issue here is supply, so getting one is a good deal at all.

i think when I bought mine, I paid 5200 plus about 600 in jib and hardware (not sure why I did that actually) (likely it was my ego not letting go of my former love affair with Nacras) (getting old huh) and I picked it up and assembled it myself. You will find assembly easy.

You'll be sailing before you know it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well

I got ahold of a fellow named Mike at Mariner wind and water sports, which was a nite and day difference from my last experience with a dealer.

My new Wave should ship out today :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Where are you located?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

choctaw60 wrote:
Where are you located?

Victoria, South TX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well I picked up a small Haul-master trailer from Harbor Freight today, $167 black Friday sale. It has 12" tires and it is just the frame.

I figure I need to extend (or just replace more likely the tongue out some for clearance reasons, and then just get some lumber and get after it. I guess I will wait till Monday to start really working on it, I need the boat here to take measurements and such.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's my trailer (I've posted this photo before). For the cross-planks, I used weather-treated deck lumber and cheap indoor/outdoor carpet. Each plank is 7 foot wide, and I used the pieces I cut off to make the guide blocks. Notice the double planks in front, to accomodate the rocker of the hulls.

This photo was taken before I had a friend, who is handy with a welder, make the extended tongue. The new one is 8 feet (6 ft in front of the frame), so there's plenty of clearance, but I needed a wiring extension.

I attach the mast sections, sail bag, etc... to the mesh floor with bungees.
I just towed my boat from Indiana to Florida, on my way to the IWCA Wave Nationals in Key Largo. The trailer works great; the car barely knows it's back there.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well I took the trailer back, and bought the larger 4x8 one instead, so building that one today.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

New trailer frame is put together, now I need to build the supports for the wave, I know exactly how I want to do it, but I cannot find the dimensions of the hulls (width of the hulls etc etc) so I cannot build any further till it gets here I guess. :?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

you will just have to sail the snot out of it to get that per sail price way low. :wink:
Honestly, compared to other small boats I feel the Hobie Cat products are worth it. Compared to any mono dinghy you will be hassle free, faster, while more in control, and have a great time bringing others out sailing. knowing what I know now I would pay for a hobie but there are monos you couldn't give me. The Wave is really simple and it's great fun.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Boat should be here tomorrow, then I can finish the trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use one of these for my Harley, it is a 900 pound monster and the trailer does just fine. You did a NICE JOB there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks GREAT!!! I don't think you'll need to extend the tongue after all.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep, I think I will be ok.

I'm trying to run through the boat ramp logistics in my head so as not to look like a 3rd degree ass clown when I go to launch it. Considering many of the parts (mast, sail etc) will not be on the boat when I launch it, I guess I will just slide it off the trailer, pull it over to the side out of the way and beach it, go park the truck and just carry the remaining gear to the boat and finish set up.

We have some real Third Reich ramp Nazis at my lake (private lake not a state park) so If I piddle around at the ramp for too long someone will start foaming at the mouth.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice thing about a trailer like that is that you can put what I call "attachment points" about anywhere. If you get gunwale straps, you can go over crossbars from front to back to cleats, or whatever, attached to the trailer boards.

Also, one thing I like is an eyebolt, or some other "attachment point" in the trailer somewhere toward the tongue to tie the sail halyard to when raising the mast. Hold the end with the hook in your hand while pushing up the mast and it steadies the process. Then tie off to cleat on the mast to hold it while jump off t0 attach the bridles. Everybody's got their own methods though...