Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Got to Rollover Pass on the upper Texas Gulf coast about 10 am and was greeted with beautiful water............maybe a 6 inch surf and smooth waters out past the surf. The wind was fairly strong out of the North but it was laying the water down. Paddled out to about 9 ft. of water and put one mullet and one crab out freelined on the bottom. Sat for an hour with absolutely nothing happening. So pulled up anchor and went out to 11-12 ft and put the same baits out.......sat for a while.

Finally I get a slow, slow run on my mullet and hook a fish. Fight this fish in and land my first bull red for the day!!!

Sat for another hour and nothing happened..................so I decided to move out deeper and moved out to 14.5 ft. of water. Put the mullet and crabs out and sat for a while. Finally I get a strong run that almost give me a backlash........I get the hook set and land another bull red.

Although the bait was mauled I put it back on the hook and pitched it out..................and because it was so small I get a backlash and the bait only goes about 30-40 ft. So I untangle things and decide to put fresh bait on. I get it out and in about 10 minutes, I got another run and hook up, resulting in another bull red.

I thought, "OK, now it is picking up and I should all start catching fish...................NOT!! :cry:

Sat for another hour or so and finally gave up about 3 pm. 4+ hours on the water and only 3 fish for the day.............Ah, I guess winter fishing is here.

It was still pretty when I hit the beach to head for home.

I think a slow day on the water beats sitting at home surfing the net.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good reading. I also fish the Gulf of Mexico only I fish from Florida. I have not been out this winter as of yet.
I will have to report from my end of the states!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello mythman.

Beautiful photos.

Thanks for sharing!

A hug. :wink: