Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had my wave for a couple of weeks and its been great but today was the first time I took it out in decent winds (15 to 20 kts). The sea was up with maybe 1m rollers but the boat handled the tossing & surfing very well but...
I tacked and the bolt holding one of the shrouds snapped and the mast came down, It was quite exciting keeping nose on to the waves without any power. Luckily we were about a kilometer offshore directly opposite a surf life saving club -- they sent a boat to tow us back. :oops:
Hopefully somebody can help with a couple of questions:
There are small 'u' shaped fittings with threaded bolts holding the shrouds to the hull, it was one of these that bent and gave way. These are additional to some j shaped hooks (an opposing pair per shroud) that appear redundant. Should I be using the J shaped hooks (I cant attach both the hooks and the u bolt as there is no room)? With the j shaped hooks there is a small hole presumably to hold them together -- what should I put in the holes?
Does any body have a fail safe method for all these fittings, ie some sort of super tie/rope that can be used in addition to the standard fittings? Having a mast fall can be a bit of a disaster -- last week I was further from shore with an offshore breeze.

Many thanks! :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:15 am 
Site Admin

The "U" shaped fittings are "Shackles". A pair of pliers will tighten these and hold them in place. But... they are not needed at the hull attachment point. The opposing hooks should be attached to the chain plate on the hull. The small hole is for a clevis ring. Tape around the attached hooks will be insurance.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)