Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:04 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:40 pm
Posts: 80
What would it be like to(?):

Take two Island main hulls (without the akas/amas), attach the two hulls with two +/- 8' aluminum (telescoping?) crossbeams, use the two sail rigs (as a biplane rig), and peddle/sail with 2-4 (if Tandem) people...?!?

Would there be too much of a tendency to submarine or pitchpole the leeward hull... or could this be a fun, stable, ama-free craft? (If so, maybe Hobie needs to make that their next project!? I'd love to see a peddle/sail/paddle catamaran for 1-5 passengers!)

Just a thought.

Thanks for any feedback!

Scott


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:54 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:07 pm
Posts: 1047
Location: Ontario, Canada
This has been discussed on these boards at one point. I'm not sure... it may have even been tried. I'm sure someone will have information, otherwise, it's just a matter of finding the right words to use in the Search function.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:31 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2679
Location: Kailua 96734
You might try searching "pitchpole" and "break". :wink:

_________________
"THE WIND IS YOUR FRIEND,.."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:15 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:34 pm
Posts: 253
I think someone in Texas lashed two AI's in an idea similar to yours due to a rental equipment problem of the wrong akas.
Can't hurt to try with a TI.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:20 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 1:55 pm
Posts: 85
Location: Burbank, Ca
I will dig for photos as I lost my server that held the digital ones.

Our attempt: Two 2010 AI's together. One sailor in each hull.
I weigh 160, he weighs...I'm guessing 240? (probably being nice on that)
Drag on his side made it worthless but I did get a few fun sky rides.
We tried adding out board amas for stability but in both cases we had to way over-steer just to go straight and at times that didn't work and we made very large circles.

A better way might me a trimaran but I am not a designer, I just break things that work perfectly for fun

_________________
Mark AKA: River
2011 AI in Red Hibiscus
Lowrance Elite 4, W Gold card
Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:58 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:52 am
Posts: 142
A TI with 2 AIs for the akas, all three with sails..

minimum crew of three, 90% chance of a major failure 10% chance of totally awesome.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:10 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:09 pm
Posts: 184
Location: Perth West Australia
Wingnutt wrote:
A TI with 2 AIs for the akas, all three with sails..

minimum crew of three, 90% chance of a major failure 10% chance of totally awesome.


Sounds great, but you are not borowing my new TI for the test.

That would also take some good coordination on sail and steering from all three sailers (that would not work with my family).

_________________
Geordie
West Ausie


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:12 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 810
Location: Sydney - Parramatta
I'll be on the beach with my deck chair and popcorn... :D

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:38 am 
Offline
Hobie Tech / Moderator

Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 1:12 pm
Posts: 996
SailScott wrote:
What would it be like to(?):

Take two Island main hulls (without the akas/amas), attach the two hulls with two +/- 8' aluminum (telescoping?) crossbeams, use the two sail rigs (as a biplane rig), and peddle/sail with 2-4 (if Tandem) people...?!?

Would there be too much of a tendency to submarine or pitchpole the leeward hull... or could this be a fun, stable, ama-free craft? (If so, maybe Hobie needs to make that their next project!? I'd love to see a peddle/sail/paddle catamaran for 1-5 passengers!)

Just a thought.

Thanks for any feedback!

Scott


We have tried this here before - what happens in real world test is the leeward sail gets too blanketed from the windward sail, so that second sail doesn't give you any performance advantage at all. Only downwind do both sails actually get wind - so it's not a product that we would try and develop, sorry.

_________________
Jacques Bernier
http://www.hobiecat.com/
http://www.facebook.com/HobieCatCompany


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:53 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2679
Location: Kailua 96734
We're gonna pass on this one too. Got other priorities! :lol:

Image

_________________
"THE WIND IS YOUR FRIEND,.."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:11 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:07 pm
Posts: 1047
Location: Ontario, Canada
Jbernier wrote:

We have tried this here before...


Reason # 1,324,829 why it would be cool to work for Hobie! "Crap, that didn't work, but it SURE was fun to try!!"

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:26 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:47 am
Posts: 75
Location: Texas Gulf Coast/Dallas, Texas
Check with Living Waters on Texaskayakfishing.com in the BTB forum. I saw some pics or a video where they tried this. It maybe on LW's youtube site @ beyondthebreakers.

_________________
"Riding The Island Wind" RIPIT (Tim)
'08 Red Hibiscus AI w/2013 replacement hull, Lovin' it!!!
'11 Golden Papaya AI (for a chap)
'10 Outback w/sail
'11 Tarpon 160


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group