Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any idea if NC Fleet 97 is still around? Contact info? Any other members out there?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well... wondered that too. Obviously they don't read forums.

Kind of wondering now what Hobie sailors in this area want? Personally I'd like good, sustained winds in the months of June, July, and August, but, hey, you can't always get what you want...

I do dislike sitting on a still body of water with no wind after planning a trip, spending hour or so rigging, and expecting a fun afternoon of sailing. Seven times out of 10 the lake sailing is like that.

That is unless wind forecasts are followed and good wind forecasts are noted and a number of folks can get out with only one or two day's notice.

Otherwise, it's kind of a rigging and rally day on the lakes with only a 30 percent chance of good sailing.

I'm just guessing...

Last edited by JJ on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No doubt lake sailing in the Spring and Fall are much better than summer around here. Personally I prefer to head to the coast during the summer and sail off the beach. Unfortunately that takes at least a 3 day commitment to drive down and drag my boat on the beach. I'm very happy to grab a nice Saturday or Sunday afternoon on the lake when ever the wind picks up.

That aside there are certainly active sailing groups in the area including the CSC, Lake Townsend YC, and a healthy Isotope fleet that get along just fine. I'd really like to know if there are any Hobie sailors in the Central NC area interested in getting together to have a good time sailing together. There used to be a Hobie dealer in Raleigh and there are plenty of old boats around. If anyone is interested in setting up a few informal sailing days in 2012 please add to this thread. Let's round up some interest!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are no fleets in the area except the Isotopes. EMSA is the only organized group and they have many events through out the carolinas. The website is emsa-sailing.org. I primarily sail off the coast in N Myrtle but have sailed on Jordan several times. Most of the local lakes are just too small to be any fun.

Division 9 really does not exist. EMSA allows all makes of cats to participate and there are quite a few H16s.