Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a HC16 and I am able to steer quite well just with the sails, so when going through the surf with a wind coming from the side (roughly between close & broad reach) I don't need my rudders.(I set my jib in the clew and by pulling in or putting out my main sail I steer the boat perfectly) (remember also that the dagger boards are not out when going through the surf)
My point here : with my HC18 = impossible to steer with the sails. No matter how much I push the main out (with the jib set in the clew) my 18 always turns into the wind, the jib is not able to make my 18 fall of to windward.
Anybody any ideas ?
Michel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Europeguy wrote:
Anybody any ideas ?

Put your rudders down. :D

Even if they're only down part way, it makes a big difference having the rudders in the water. Also get your windward dagger board down at least 1/2 way, otherwise the boat will round into the wind and slip sideways. Getting out through the surf is all about powering up and blasting through the waves, and you can't do that with your rudders up. Getting at least one rudder down and one dagger board down are usually my two biggest priorities when launching through the surf.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with SRM, you need a board partly down to steer with the sails. The rudders are not completely necessary but the dagger is. The H16 hulls keep it from slipping, the H18 is too round to hold its ground.