Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need 21SE Mast base
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

We broke 21SE Mast base part 30641001. The part is no longer available. Is there any other mast base that will fill standard ball part 30110001 and Hobie 21se mast profile?

Is Hobie 18 mast profile the same as Hobie 21se?

Any suggestion how to fix broken mast base? The dolphin post drill ball and then mast base while Hobie 21se was on the mooring for one week. The mast was rotating. I guess instead of rotating on the ball it started to rotate ball on the dolphin post.

Do I need to prevent mast from rotating while Hobie is left on the water for several days? What is the proper way to do this?

Thank you,
Alex

Post subject: Re: Need 21SE Mast base
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

18 and 21 masts are different. If you leave the boom and mainsheet system on, main halyard to outhaul connection on boom, mast rotator cleated tight, mainsheet takes out slack from halyard. IF you take the boom off, rig up something to the mast rotation arm side to side.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:58 am 
Site Admin

alomakin wrote:
We broke 21SE Mast base part 30641001. The part is no longer available. Is there any other mast base that will fill standard ball part 30110001 and Hobie 21se mast profile?

The 21 Sport Cruiser mast base is the replacement. It has a rotation preventer block on the front, but otherwise is the same part.

36641031 MAST BASE, H21 SE & SC

In stock. Order from any Hobie Catamaran dealer.

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/dealers/search/

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank mmiller for info. I will order 36641031 MAST BASE, H21 SE & SC.

Should I glue new dolphin ball to dolphin post? The main problem happened because ball started to rotate on the dolphin post.

Tom King thank you for sugestions.
I am coming to Hobie from sailing monohulls.

The first time I needed to leave Hobie on the mooring I did exactly what you described. It was left with the boom attached for 1 week and halyard connected to the boom end. No slack on halyard and full tension on mainsheet. Forestay fully tensioned by hylyard/mainsheet Mast rotator was cheated on the boom. Still mast was rotating about +/- 5-10 degree at the gooseneck. Well, one week later the line from rotator was ripped in half and front boom cap was ripped from the boom. Boom was bouncing on the tramp connected on the back side between hylyard and mainsheet. Mast was rotating. :(

The second time after repairing boom I left it for 1 week without boom. The rotation arm was tied with 5mm line to two sides. Still mast was rotating about +/- 1-2 degree. Much less. Well … week later. The line from the rotation arm to the port hull was ripped in half. The mast managed to rotate ball. Dolphin post drill hole through ball and mast base. We did not notice this at first. The mast dropped 1 inch down and was still rotating on the ball that was supported by front crossbar. When we tried to lower mast after sailing for one day we bended dolphin post because it was inside mast base by 1 inch. :(

The wind in the area could be 20-30mph and wave 1-3 feet. Is there safe way to have Hobie 21 on the mooring with mast up at 30mhp wind and 3 feet sea? There are some sailboats on the mooring and they are all ok.

Thank you very much for feedback
Alex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Is there safe way to have Hobie 21 on the mooring with mast up at 30mhp wind and 3 feet sea?

No. There is no way to safely leave a small cat in those conditions.

We always say no to mooring, but the concerns are more about small ripples from wind or boat wakes. Even with that, a boat is subjected to jarring and vibration that damages the frame and rig.

Monohulls hang from a mooring down wind which exposes the bow to oncoming waves and wind energy. Catamarans will swing and then can "sail" forward and sometimes enough to go over the mooring ball and either capsize or pull the anchor loose. If the cat simply swings it exposes the sides to jarring from chop. That chop hits a hull and deflects and then hits the opposite hull. The combined impacts jar and create vibrations in the hull and rig. The mast is also a sail foil... it's just not a good idea.

If the conditions allow, we suggest pulling a small cat up on a dock or float. That solves a lot of the problem, but you still have the mast and rig movement to be concerned about.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would also be more woried about the taper pins on the 21se when mooring than mast base. I need to replace mine with larger ones, they are $400-$500 to have made, and I am thinking of parting-out the boat because of this and other repairs needed.