Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hammock Trials
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Took off over to Pulbah Island at the weekend for my weekly 'Back to Nature' hit and finally got to put the Penthouse through it's paces. Really happy with the design in general. I had to remove the old tees at the end of the uprights and replaces them with the next size up due to the new AI's crossbar being larger. By making the slit in the tees smaller than the actual crossbar, the tees spring apart and clip around the crossbar making them a bit more secure. I can't really think of anything I'd change. It took me about 25 minutes to erect but I wasn't rushing. I reckon 10 minutes tops next time.

Comfy, simple, strong and as a bonus, Pulbah is a nature reserve so push me a few meters out and who's breaking and laws.

Taaa Daaa ........try your hardest Mr Ranger.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

Post subject: Re: Hammock Trials
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Slaughter,

It looks good. One question: If you were off some place like the Everglades in Florida with a lot of mangroves, alligators and no beach, how hard would it be to erect if you can only stand on the boat? I did a Hennessy hammock set up on my TI for last years EC. Never used it because there was a beach and trees. But I found out that the added weight and time was more than sleeping on the tramp. Most of the time it is dark by the time I stop to camp. Speed, simplicity and weight are my controlling factors. I will publish my TI hammock pictures once I dig them up...

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Slaughter!!!! Stop making Australia so attractive. I'm stuck under freezing gray skies and there you are. :mrgreen:

Dog, The hammock has been set up on the water in under 10 minutes. Summer65 shows how
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLoXdtGovj0

Having the 550 cord suspension lines tied the correct length for the up-rights was a good idea to save time but port/starboard, understandable, and the fore/aft lines are different. Went back and spray painted the eyes and D rings to show the relative positions.
Most of the time is spent with the black web straps on the nose and tail. I tried the nose twice before going for a swim thought the vertical rudder would have been the hard spot.
The hammock and fly fit in the yellow Hobie dry bag that can with the adventure. But having a second snake skin for the rain fly would help in take down.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey there Paul - Personally I reckon do what you're doing. If you can get comfy in the setup you've got, and can do it all without gett'n your feet wet, keep at it. As Fly4v says, installing the hammock without wet feet can be done but it certainly is a pain in the arse. If you do decide to go down this route, I just went out and took a couple more shots to show how I did it, which may help, or may motivate some brain cells to come up with something better.

This shows how I carry the uprights. I attach my tramps upside down and use the bungie as an attachment point.

As I said previously if the tee slot is carefully cut smaller than the Aka diameter, it acts like a spring clip and snaps on. The tramp straps hold it firm.

This is the tricky bit. A jig saw, dremel and patience. Also if the cut is off centre for both uprights, then when it goes into position at about 45ish degree, my theory is that it can't be dislodged unless it goes a full 90 degrees in the opposite direction. The rear upright is a simple straight slot cut, again off centre.

Shot shows the slot slightly smaller than the crossbar width.

If the cuts are right, it slides in easily. Bit fiddly but makes for a secure connection.

The top of the upright is then rotated 90 degrees towards the bow for a lock in fit.

Yep the weather here is perfect this day Fly4v. It has been rubbish though for the last few weeks. Summer is real late at kick'n in this year. I think I might do like you and mark or colour code straps and positions etc. That's where I waisted most of my time in setup. All fine tuning I spose. Think of how 'fit for purpose' our AI's are gunna be when we're 80.

P.S. I just noticed in shot 4 that my mast receiver has a rubbing from the mast. Does yours have that or should the mast weight be taken at the plate and pin.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Little difficult to apply Air Force standard on the mast rubbing.... Need a third craft to determine which is correct because I don't have any rubbing. Don't think yours should be doing that or the bearings would need to be on top of the ring.

Must say that is some fancy cutting on the PVC for the new fittings.

I have a felling the AI will still be going strong when I hit 80 but at the rate I'm going it will take that long for me to get it the way I want it. Took over a year for me to be able to do the penthouse.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looking good Slaughter! 8)
Perfect for the Cowan /Smiths Creek area (if you don't want to break the law! :wink: )
Love the 'candid' last shot!