Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: which main block ratio
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I need to get a new set of main blocks. What is the best ratio for the Tiger? I understand through this forum that you can go all the way to 16/1 under the rules, but what really works the best? thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

2318 wrote:
I need to get a new set of main blocks. What is the best ratio for the Tiger? I understand through this forum that you can go all the way to 16/1 under the rules, but what really works the best? thanks

You can go 16:1 on the downhaul. I believe the mainsheet system is limited to 9:1 but don't quote me on that...will have to look at the rules.

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tjp,

You are allowed up to 10:1 under the Class Rules. Unless your crew is super strong, I'd say 10:1 is a must for the mainsheet. You need to have the option of pulling on lots of tension when needed. The downside is it takes longer to pull the sheet in, but this is not really an issue for us. My Tiger came with 8:1, and we've converted it to 10:1, which is a big improvement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I do not know why anyone would still be sailing at 8 to 1 when you can sail it with 10 to 1.

I have been with 10 to 1 almost from the first time I sailed the boat. I also have a tapered main sheet so it runs faster through it. You could put on a 10 to 1 and not get advantage if you get to much friction from the line.

My original set up was three and three with a single hanging on the top. I moved the single to the bottom and hung a double on the top. It works well.

By the way I do my own mainsheet so it is imperative, in my mind, to have the 10 to 1. I do not let much out during tacks or gybes so the extra amount of sheeting is not a problem.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We still use 8:1, crew plays the mainsheet. With the lower purchase you don't have to play as much sheet to make an adjustment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

10:1 takes too long to sheet in and out - so you get this delayed reaction to everything you do - kind of like having too much purchase on the downhaul - both systems work the best @ 8:1 and react faster... I can understand that it is harder to pull - but it isn't that bad - and you have to pull less - much less... so in that way its faster even if it takes a bit more strength...

Long Live 8:1 - it Rules!

ha-ha

Dan Delave has got an ear full of that talk this past weekend. (something tells me though he won't change, even after hearing about it for two days... he's stubborn - like me;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I really do appreciate what Jacques is saying. He is right that 8:1 is faster. The caveat is that you have a crew that is willing to sheet for you. I sail with my girlfriend and she is not yet comfortable doing the sheeting. I have always done the sheeting on the boat and I like to be able to pull it in. I also do not let it out much. I agree that sheeting the main by the crew is a faster way to sail. Jacques and Greg proved that to us all this last weekend during the clinic. I do not have that crew advantage and will stick, stubbornly, to the 10:1.

We run a fairly simple 12:1 cascading system on the downhaul that Eileen does not mind. With the 8:1, stock system, she could not get it in by herself.

Bottom line is if you are sailing with a crew you are comfortable letting to the main 8:1 is fine on both those adjustments.

Eileen and I were out sailing in wind blowing about 20 to 22 yesterday afternoon. Good practice, though fairly flat water, for San Francisco.
There was no way she was interested in doing the main when I asked her to. We will continue to use the slow sheeting 10:1. By the way we also use a tapered mainsheet. It works much better this way.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jacques - we know you are strong!

I should have added that my crew is a girl (my wife) & she's doing the mainsheet plus most of the other stuff. Anything we can do to lighten her workload, works for us. (We've also made an under the tramp 16:1 downhaul).

The key thing is that to sail a Tiger fast, the crew needs to be doing the main. Unlike a 16, it's very hard for the helm to trim a Tiger main responsively and sail in a straight line.

See you in Spain....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pdavies:

Looking forward to meeting you in Spain.

Later,
Dan