Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting idea, I hadn't considered Dubai before.

We may have a language issue. As a typical american, I can only speak English fluently. :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is late... but perhaps next year... the hobies are free it is an all exclusive....
My son was there in Mexcio 2 months ago and sent me these pics... He said there was only one 16 and they wouldn't let him take it out alone ... but they had a lot of Bravos... take a look. Playa DEL Carmen, Barcelo Beach Resort.
http://s1120.photobucket.com/albums/l499/jimsmall56/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:33 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

waldorf wrote:
This is late... but perhaps next year... the hobies are free it is an all exclusive....
My son was there in Mexcio 2 months ago and sent me these pics... He said there was only one 16 and they wouldn't let him take it out alone ... but they had a lot of Bravos... take a look. Playa DEL Carmen, Barcelo Beach Resort.
http://s1120.photobucket.com/albums/l499/jimsmall56/

That's where the 16 Worlds were in 2004.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

FYI, I found a place in Clearwater to rent Getaways: the Clearwater Community Sailing Center.

The wife ixnayed dragging the H18 down there (I wasn't looking forward to the drive either). Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes after my visit next week.

cramsailing.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rhembo, you are going down next week too? I am leaving tomorrow and back to Michigan the 30th.

Have a safe trip and let us know how your sailing went. I plan to take the family out for a day at Islamadora mid week. I'll take pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well, the situation is looking good. Stopped by the CCSC yesterday. In addition to Bravos, Waves, Getaways, and various mono dingies, I discovered they have a few off-the-menu options for the more discerning sailor. They've got an H16, H18, and ... A Tiger. Oh my.

Robbie Daniels (Mr. F18) is there this week doing training seminars and helped get the Tiger set up properly. Looks like I'll hopefully be able to take it out on Friday.

Staff @ CCSC was very helpful thus far and really willing to go the extra mile.

Will update after our sail on Friday.

cramsailing.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Glad to hear it is going well. I just got back, and had a great vacation, but the Hobie wasn't in any of the real highlights.

We ended up in Pompano Beach the first 4 days, and weather was perfect. There was a rental place that advertised Hobies right at the hotel we stayed at. The guys running it were nice, but you could tell they had been burned too many times by people saying they knew how to sail. They wouldn't rent me the Wave due to 'high winds' the first 2 days. It was breezy, but not THAT bad. (10-12?). Finally, the wind died down the 3rd day and although they had pricing and their website showed all kinds of cats, all they really had was ONE Wave. So I took it. Granted, the wind was a little low, but I couldn't get that thing going fast enough to generate ANY excitement. Was never close to lifting a hull. The same wind on a H16 would have at least been enjoyable, but this boat you had to work to get it to go much at all. After an hour I went it and called it a day. The rest of the week we just did other stuff. Still had a great time, but am curious, does the Wave need that much more wind than an H16? By the way, it seems that having a boom and travellers would have helped that boat tremendously!

The last couple days we ended up over at Ft Meyers beach. A 'cold front' had moved it making it cooler in the mornings, but still could have sailed, but by then, time was flying.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Guy named Richard White at the Clearwater Community Sailing Center set us up for a sail last Friday. Originally we went out on an old H16 and enjoyed it for about 20 minutes until we had a bit of a challenge - lost the rig about 2 miles out due to a corroded ring-ding in the side-stay pin. It went down real quiet... Didn't even realize it was down until I looked up after the tack - hey that's strange... Fortunately, it occurred almost directly upwind of our launch point and we were able to hobble back with a "jury rigged" jib and were within about 200yds when they finally came out and got us.

However, things got a lot better when Richard realized his Tiger was not being used by Robbie Daniel's training camp guys, so offered it to us. 2 hours in an F18 in sunny 75° weather ain't too bad for the end of December. Only disappointing part is the wind was rather light. Only enough to occasionally barely lift a hull. Sailing the two boats back-to-back was like going from a '60s beetle to Porsche Carrera. Same maker, but what a contrast :P

Kudo's to the guys at CCSC. Nice operation and location. I may be doing regular business trips to the area and might consider the $350 annual membership which would mean unlimited boat usage. A few trips and the $/hr would be reasonably acceptable.

cramsailing.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Awesome! Sounds like a great day, other than the whole 'I lost a rig', thing!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Too late for this year, but we are setting up a rental operation in Charlotte Harbor, Port Charlotte, FL

Get us next year and we can set you up.
www.jmBoatStuff.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As an advanced head's up, I'm gearing up to break ground on a new sailing resort in Mahahual, Mexico late this year. I've been vacationing at resorts for years and in every case, the boats were beaten to dust. I'm determined to offer something better for the true sailors looking for a real family sailing vacation that isn't bareboating. There's no better way for parents to find out what the kids learned at sailing school last summer than to get out nto the race course with them.

The 50 beachfront property has been purchased and we plan to have 6 high end suites for rental. The fleets consists of 4 X Lasers, 4 X Hobie 16's, 4 X RS:X Sailboards and 2 X kitesailing rigs. I'll also be bringing down 1 and possibly 2 Hobie 21 SE's. We will have a W/L course set up just off the beach. It will be our policy to keep these boats maintained in top condition. Most of the boats have already been acquired so this we're well on our way to making it happen.

The resort will be named "Casa Velero". Hope to see some of you down there when we open in a few years. Its a specacular sailing location.

Here's where it is: http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=2038 ... 4,0.010525

David

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jeff...

Liked the Tiger did you? Are you now ready to come over to the dark side? :lol:

JB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've tried to sail with those guys at Pompano so often, and you're right, either the wind is too strong, or its too light....it's like they don't want you to rent, probably because they make more money in one afternoon off jet-skiis than they do off Hobie's in a week. They used to have an old H16, a Wave, and a Getaway.....

A better bet is a couple of miles north, at the south end of the Delray Beach, Chuck's usually has a good choice of Waves and Getaways, and a lot of local guys park their boats there. The kite gang sails off that end of the beach....awesome....and a very good vibe at that spot.

The north end of the beach is reserved for privateers, like HullFlyer aka Elias and others.

The Lauderdale beach rental runs Waves, many of them are old and bashed up.

On the west coast, I recall a decent rental operator....that was long ago.

Maybe next trip, we'll head to Clearwater, that sounded like a blast.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

For those with an acute case of SAD, you can check the webcam here. It looks like they have a Hobie Wave on the beach. We were fortunate enough to go to Anguilla a four years ago. Shoal Bay is/was magnificent.

Also spent a week at St. Kitts a couple years back (frequent flyer miles are awesome...) The guys at Cockleshell Bay (very south end of the island) had a couple of waves for rent. I kidded about sailing across to Nevis. He smiled and said no-problem mon! My wife kinda freaked at the idea, but next time...

cramsailing.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is a place in the philippenes with 7 hobies. We will be seting them up soon and getting everything going.
3 H-18's with spin and self tacking jibs, and square head mains.
2 Tigers.
2 Wildcats.
Details to follow and my blog will be updated.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/