Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have any experience with installing access ports (aka inspection ports) in a Hobie Wave. I just purchased a new Hobie Wave and I love it but have no place to put things like keys, camera and extra snacks that is waterproof. I thought adding access ports with bags for storage on the transoms would be ideal. I see there are similar ports made by Hobie, Viking and RWO in 4", 5" and 6" diameters and all come with bags for holding stuff. I think the 6" would be best for easily reaching in a being able to pull something out of the access port. They seem pretty straight forward but I am nervous about cutting a 6" hole in the back of my new boat! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Ports
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:29 am 
Site Admin

Cutting the deck of a Wave is easy to do and no problem aft of the aft crossbar. Like cutting plywood. Realize that ports are not always water proof though. Things may still get damp, so place electronics and similar in a water-proof bag. We used to add 5" ports standard.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had my local dealer cut the holes and glue the ports in. I do not know the diameter, but they work well for storage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I cut mine with a jig saw it was easy just take the cap off and draw around the inside of the port and cut 1/8' or so larger. Make sure you use nylon bolts and use some marine sikaflex (white) to seal.
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your feedback. I am going to try the 5" ports (I understand the hobie 5" ports are curved a bit to match rounded decks but not specifically the Wave). I'll let you know how it comes out.

Post subject: Ports Installed
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have successfully installed the ports into both hulls of my Hobie Wave, and they do not leak. The fat bags are very nice for storing things while sailing.

I put together a PDF with photos and information about how I did the installation. I will gladly send this to Mark if you let me know how for posting somewhere on this site. I can be contacted at [email protected].