Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am an early TI owner still using the original T&S rudder design. I have not yet installed the new and improved TI rudder.

One of features I really appreciate about the original rudder is the black bungee loop that holds down the rudder. Whenever the TI enters shallow water, the bungee allows the rudder to pop up. And whenever the TI reenters deeper water, the bungee automatically pulls the rudder back down.

Does the new rudder design have a similiar bungee cord somewhere within its system that performs this same feature? If yes, can you describe where it is located and how it works?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We have a 2010 TI that was "upgraded" with the rudder bungee cord that you've described at the time when we purchased it (Feb. '11) - and to which the new replacement rudder was subsequently fitted last summer.

The short answer to your question is no. No more bungee cord. When the rudder downhaul is secured in its jam cleat, it is secured.

So unintentional grounding can be a concern, but personally, I like the new rudder control system better because at any time when you want to raise the rudder, you can do so from the normal seated position. With the "interim" bungee system, once the bungee was secured, you had to reach all the way back to the rudder (and, with my body weight, then reach under water) to the release the bungee so the rudder could be raised. The new system also lets you position the rudder at any intermediate point, such as horizontal, so that you can still have steerage when pedaling or paddling in very shallow water, such may be the situation as you are initially departing from a launch site.

The new rudder itself is also a big improvement in terms of control and responsiveness under sail.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Island Rudder Replacement Program uses a new rudder pin, can anyone give me the new part number, I had the misfortune to shear the pin. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your replacement rudder should have come with a spare pin. The pin part# should be 88991101

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am confused, am I waiting on a new rudder kit to be shipped to me, or am I supposed to ask for one? 2011 AI, serial number HCCR0G48H 011.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If your AI has the LONG (+7"?) rudder pin and your boat still has the twist-n-stow rudder (folds flat to the hull when up) then you (or your dealer) should have received the new strait up/down heavy duty rudder upgrade kit.

Check with your dealer, or email Hobie or see if Jacques or Matt comment here.

Last edited by KayakingBob on Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Bob, I do still have the twist and stowe and not have had any contact. I am certain my boat is registered. My dealer does not seem too committed to Hobie, but they are the only recognized dealer in my area, I will try to call them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Contacted my dealer, they were very responsive and have contacted factory, rudder kit should be in the mail to me in near future. Also informed me my serial number should have a "6" not "G"... they were correct!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Rudder Kit came in installed yesterday took about 2 hours total. Had problem with one of the new line tubes not locking in, every time turned rudder tube came out with line. I used my solder iron to fuse plastic together at the opening (without burning the line!), all ended well. Seems like a lot of rudder for the AI, but I can trim up if needed. I like it :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I like the new rudder so well I am going to take on a more ambitious project. I have an older mirage (2009) that I plan on cutting the transom off flush, rebuilding it flat with a 5 degree camber, reinforcing, buy a new style rudder, gundeon, rudder control lever, line. I will have to convert the up and down system from the old single handle to the separate up & down cords. To complete the conversion to an AI, I will need to by the conversion kit. I am pricing this out now before I sink more money than sense into this project. The 2009 hull is in great shape. When I set the Kayaks side by side (2011 AI and 2009 Mirage) there are a few mold differences, handles, seems like a little more rise on the 2011 bow, transom, rudder control points, and the mirage drive retention system. Has anybody done this to their older Mirage?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Adventures and AI's hold their value well, so before you spend all that money, be sure it's not cheaper to sell your old Adventure and buy a new 2012 AI and get all the latest little upgrades too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi guys,

Just resurrecting this thread...

I recently picked up a 2001 A.I. which has the 'interim' twist-n-stow
rudder (with the bungee tie-down).

I wonder if I qualify for the rudder replacement as discussed here?

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike,

You posted the wrong year for your boat. I believe the 2011 was the first year the new rudder was used. Previous year models have a different, incompatible stern.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, my fingers were faster than my brain!

My A.I. is indeed a 2011 model with the deeper transom.

I recently bought it from the original owner.

So who do I need to bug to get my hands on the new rudder?

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Get your hull serial number from the rear of the hull and contact6 your nearest Hobie dealer

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next