Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Could some of you Tandem Island owner's out there comment on how well (or poorly) the TI operates under solo, pedal-only power with the amas installed, either folded in or out. I've read a number of reviews about this boat, but have found little to nothing about how it operates under pedal-power. If I buy one of these, I suspect taat I"ll be operating solo 90% of the time, and while I'll be sailing when I can, I also want to pedal up some of the smaller streams and guts. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In my opinion, the TI solo takes a bit more leg power to start moving (more mass) and a little more pedal speed or preasure to keep at the same speed as an AI. Not as much more as I expected, but noticable.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is some actual data for you.

I have had my eye on a pedaling only trip of 11 miles, this trip was for the express purpose of guaging how long it would take me to cover a given distance.

This was without the akas, amas or sail onboard. The air temp was 70, but water was near 50, so I was in my dry suit. I was uncomfortably hot and did not push myself at all. I could have repeated the trip and increased my speed with no problem if I had removed the wool/poly long johns I had on under the dry suit.

I really didn't notice much difference between this trip and what pedaling I have done with the amas/akas/sail onboard.

Last edited by Herbaldew on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That is some nice data. What was that recorded from? Also how was the wind and wave action on this trip?

I have nothing to guage from since the TI is my first peddle Kayak but I think it peddles effortlessly. I have found navigating around in tight marinas to be difficult. I got stuck trying to make a u-turn into the wind and was almost blown into some moored boats. Back paddling is not easy from the forward position with the rear akas right there. In hindsight if i had retracted the amas turning would have been tighter and back paddling easier. Oh well. Everyday is a learning experience.

Royce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey, thanks for the feedback. This is some good info. Looks like it's about the same speed (hull only) as an Outback.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

From everything I have read I would think with the same person powering the boats that the adventure hull would be faster. The tandem may take longer to reach top speed but would win in the end. The adventure hull is sleeker than the outback and tends to pierce the waves allowing it to maintain it's speed. But for exploring in and out of coves the Outback would be right in its element. I wish I could afford to have them all.

Royce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Adventure hull, without amas, is a formidable boat, right up there with Sea Kayaks for speed. With ama's deployed and without much influence from wind or current it's reasonably easy to maintain an average speed of about 6 kmh (3.6 mph) from pedalling alone.
My great wish is for Hobie to reconfigure the boat so that the amas lift clear of the water when retracted. That way, we would have a seriously speedy boat when the wind dropped.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Outrider wrote:
That is some nice data. What was that recorded from? Also how was the wind and wave action on this trip?

Royce

I use a Garmin GPSMAP 440S. After a trip, I save the track to an SD card, make a .gpx file of the track with Garmin MapSource, then upload the .gpx file to connect.garmin.com using the manual upload feature. It is free and works at least with other Garmin products. It may work with other brands if you can figure out how to create a .gpx file with them.

It was near calm that day and the first half of the trip was against a ~1 mph current, no waves to speak of. Follow the link below to see how the data is actually displayed on their site. Once that page is loaded, clicking the green balloon takes you to the "player". You can clearly see on the speed graph on the player screen where I turned around and started pedaling with the current.

This Trip on Garmin Connect

Last edited by Herbaldew on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That is some great info. I will need to break out the book on my old 76 CS to see if it can do similar.

You sure do have a great location to play in. I would be sailing everwhere on that map. My location here on Kauai has me in usually violent water within a mile from the launch site. When I was sailing around in the Chesepeake Bay I always dreamed of sailing in Hawaii. No that I am here, I miss those Bay Days. Endless exploring.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Your 76 CS will work. You don't even need to make the .gpx file, you can connect your unit to your PC and upload direct from it to connect.garmin.com. You have to let them install the Garmin Communicator Plugin for this method.

And, I am sailing everywhere on that map :) We made over 20 trips as far south as Ocean City, MD since buying a TI in late July, will work south from there this summer then start on the Chesapeake side of the peninsula.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:34 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

LarryJ wrote:
Could some of you Tandem Island owner's out there comment on how well (or poorly) the TI operates under solo, pedal-only power with the amas installed, either folded in or out.
IMO, pedaling the TI with full sail rigging is OK for maneuvering, but not practical for any distance. Speeds below about 3 MPH the turning is not particularly good and any wind exacerbates maneuverability problems. You would get better handling out of the front cockpit than the rear. It would probably be the slowest Hobie in that configuration.

Pedaling the TA (kayak only) is a different story. In smooth water, you should be able to do about 5 miles in an hour (solo) at a fast cruise, with good rudder authority and a nice ride from the front cockpit (with a well tuned Drive). The Adventure and Revo are still faster though. It would be roughly on par with the Oasis, but faster than the Revo 11, Outback, Outfitter, Sport or any inflatables (in approximate order).

Tandem, two reasonably fit guys can cover 6+ miles in an hour, making the TA the fastest Hobie kayak in the fleet. A TA co-ed crew won its class in the San Diego Bay 2 Bay race (5 mile version) a couple of years ago, also beating all other tandem SOT classes and all other Hobies.

It's a versatile boat when properly configured for its intended purpose. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Herbaldew wrote:
Bump!

What software are you using to render that trip ?

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What is a TA?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can easily pedal the TI solo all day when it's calm or even in winds up to 10 mph or so. But if you're fighting strong winds or a strong current and your speed goes below 2 mph you'll begin to loose rudder control and that can be dangerous. There have been times where I could not get back to the launch area because of strong winds which came up later in the day using only the pedals myself. So just be aware of that. That's why I'm now considering this when I sail solo:
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/torqeedo--ultralight-403-kayak-and-light-boat-motor--10079036

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can tell the difference for sure between my TI and Revo pedaling but I'm carrying more weight (spineboard hakas, cooler, etc.) in full TI mode. In kayak mode not so much but I wouldn't characterize the TI performance as "poor" in either case.

If I get into a tight spot I have found it useful to reverse the mirage drive and back out until I have room to turn. It also helps to do this if the Cooper anchor gets stuck rather than circling around to pull in the opposite direction. The steering sure feels funny though, very sensitive going backwards.
chris