Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Using the traveler..
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So ,the traveler its a big upgrade as I understand it.

So with the traveler installed, do you typically sail just by adjusting the traveler tension (travel) and adjusting the main is a matter of tweaking and fine tuning, or do you have to adjust both constantly? Seems like adjusting the travel would for the most part take the place of sheeting in and out, as it pretty much accomplishes the same thing (how much wind the sail catches) But I'm still new to all this, so maybe I don't understand.

Post subject: Re: Using the traveler..
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On a slight tangent, has anyone successfully rigged a "cord & traveler blocks" traveler like you might see on a Laser? Theoretically, you'd anchor the ends of the cord to lateral eye-hooks anchored in the rear cross beam for example, and could also use the cleat set-up? You'd obviously need to adapt the standard block that comes with the Wave so it or similar could travel along the traveler cord. I haven't done this yet, but was thinking it might allow more efficient sail shape going downwind and allow closer sailing to the wind?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Not even remotely relevant, glad I could provide a thread for you to hijack :?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wingnutt

Download the "Hobie U" doc from HCANA website. Lots of discussion of traveler vs. sheet in several sections. This is a great source of info. Even if you don't race the tuning and performace tips are valuable.

http://www.hobieclass.com/default.asp?Page=1686

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Traveler was a good addition to the Wave, I think. It is used for mainly for dumping air in heavy winds, some for getting a better sail shape. It's not widely used. I keep mine on a separate line and adjust it only when needed.

amfo: that sounds interesting. Assuming you can attach temporary "attachment points" on the rear beam and a temporary "traveler car" out of small block, it might give you an idea of how effective it'd be. How would you "lock" the car in one place though?

Mast rotation really effects sail shape. So, been thinking experimenting with mast rotation control...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

JJ wrote:
Traveler was a good addition to the Wave, I think. It is used for mainly for dumping air in heavy winds, some for getting a better sail shape. It's not widely used. I keep mine on a separate line and adjust it only when needed.

So the opposite of what I thought then, the traveler is usually left alone and tension on the main is still your main adjustment. Ok.

Interesting that its effective for sailing in higher winds, hell of a lot cheaper than that zipper reefing sail.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, a few thoughts on the traveler issue, and on the line Laser style traveler too (it's along the same line so keep reading).

First, the wave is not a high performance machine with detailed mast bend/rotation control... ...it is at the other end of the scale, it is intended to be simple and sacrafice some "performance".

That said, I added the traveler to the boat because the lack of basic sail control was driving me nuts. It does allow me to adjust the sail to make the telltales fly from top to bottom, and on windy days it allows me to travel out to sheet the sail more uniformly (control twist). In these windy conditions, and on broad reaches on any day, the ability to travel the mainsheet out may by a small margin make the boat faster (again, more uniform sheeting). It's all about twist control.

In order to sail with the sail "tuned" for any angle of attack, the traveler is set, and then the mainsheet is played to adjust for small wind changes and accelleration/decelleration.

If you stand behind the boat on the beach with the boat sitting on a "close reach". Sheet in slowly with the mainsheet centered. Look at the top of the leech versus the bottom (back edge of the sail). Notice how the top of the sail "twists"? Now, if you can move the mainsheet attachment over a few inches (travel out), notice how you can reduce the twist in the sail and have more uniform sheeting and more tell tales flowing? This is what it is all about.

The Laser style line traveler will not work well on this boat. A line traveler on a Laser is usually kept tight allowing the mainsheet to travel to the leeward corner of the boat. You can "center" the traveler by loosening the traveler line. This is seldom done on a laser as center sheeting is slow. On the wave, center sheeting is normal from close reaching to beating (or when teaching sailing and ignoring the traveler entirely as a traveler is one more detail not really "needed"). Additionally, with most rigging the boat with maximum mast rake, there is not room for additional blocks or line streach seen with line travelers.

Also note, although the Laser and the Wave are three to one purchase, you will never sheet a Laser nearly as hard as you sheet the Wave. This is another reason why if you use a traveler, you need a fixed version.

The issue of reefing is totally different. A zipper reef will reduce the amount of sail, a traveler will allow you to sheet more uniformly, feeling less power, but at some point, no matter what you do, a full sail is too much. It's easier to understand from a windsurfing perspective, you can try to sheet out all day long, but at some point, a smaller sail just works better.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

+1

Nicely done.

Let the traveler out! Let the traveler out! :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=25834&p=107735&hilit=hammond#p107735

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

JJ wrote:
+1