Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Soft spot help
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 1995 H16, that i have had for about 1 year. I have removed the hulls to do a "bottom job" and upon inspection i have found 1 soft spot that was covered over previously with mystery paint, or something.

I have sanded away the paint so i can inspect what i have. The area is about 12" long, and is in a straight line along the inner edge of the hull, and is in front of the rear pylon. When i take my fingers and grab the curved lip of the hull and place my thumbs on the soft spot, they do sponge slightly, and you can see the lip move a little. the soft spot is in line with the side of the hull, you can kind of see it in the picture where it has some white filler from previous repair job.

Then on the lip you can see the two fiberglass panels and the foam in between, as there is no coating on the bottom of the hull lip.

my questions are:
is it a problem that it is in a straight line along the edge?
can i still treat this as a normal soft spot and drill and repair?
what do i do about the foam on the bottom of the hull lip? Can i inject it with something?
what material usually covers the exposed lip? this is the only spot where the foam is breaking up, but on the rest of the hull there is not much covering this lip, just old silicone it appears.

thanks for the help.

Post subject: Re: Soft spot help
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

Inboard? Not really a structural issue. May have been impacted somehow. The straight line is due to the glass structure. It is cracked along the edge of a hard point where the impact loads focused.

This is not a "soft" spot related to foam. There is no foam in the area near the lip. It starts about 2" inboard of the lip.

You need to clean out the fractured putty in the joint / seam. Then wedge the area apart and force matte glass wetted with laminating resin into the joint. Clamp till it sets up. Pour more resin along the lip to seal. You will likely have to grind down the deck a bit and then layer some glass over the cracked area. You may want to do more on the underside of the lip.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,

thanks very much for the quick reply. What you say make sense, it is as if the hull was dropped or impacted somehow, right on the lip, and this caused a fracture along the deck as the lip bent inward towards the hull.

So my understanding is that I have two repairs, the first is two fix the crumbling "puddy" that is inside the lip by cleaning out the loose material and stuffing with laminated glass, and the second is to sand down the soft fractured glass on the deck and re-glass as well.

Another question, what typically "seals" the flat edge of the lip? It appears someone used silicone in the past. I would like to re-seal the entire lip of both hulls, do I just use a fresh coat of 5200?

Thanks again,

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

We used to simply wipe some silicone along the lip to seal, but that material peals away over time. Since a number of years ago, we drizzle resin along the seam (hulls upside down) to create a bead all along the lip... no more leaks. You may not be able to get the resin to adhere since the area has silicone on it now. Maybe grind off first and then resin? or simply do a good seal job with more silicone.

Use the leak test to find where there really is an issue.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=169

Lips don't normally leak unless there is a void somewhere. Go after shroud and bridle tang areas, gudgeons, plug fittings...

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:19 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

And don't use 5200 - it's an adhesive, not a sealant.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since the boat is apart turn it upside down and do what Matt Bounds said.

I helped a friend with 16 fix the deck to hull joint by mixing a thickened (epoxy or polyester resin) and poured it into a spreaded lip. We then sucked it down into the seam by placing a vaccum near the drain plug. Clamp the seam halves together and let it dry. Don't use 5200 or silicone.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DVL wrote:
We then sucked it down into the seam by placing a vaccum near the drain plug. Clamp the seam halves together and let it dry.

I like that idea! Stored away for spring when I have to fix a separated lip on my old 14!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:58 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

hobiesrock wrote:
DVL wrote:
We then sucked it down into the seam by placing a vaccum near the drain plug. Clamp the seam halves together and let it dry.

I like that idea! Stored away for spring when I have to fix a separated lip on my old 14!

Notice he said "near the drain plug," not "on the drain plug." It doesn't take a lot of negative pressure (or positive for that matter) to give you a problem bigger than a split deck lip.

You want to draw the epoxy into the crack, not suck it all the way through.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yup caught that and know not to put it on the hole...just like doing a leak test.