Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After about 5 trips out I was maneuvering my wave into my garage (on its trailer) and when I set the front down I heard water slosh forward to the front of the hulls. I pulled the boat back out, unscrewed the plugs and tipped it up, about a cup or so of water ran out of each hull. I Figured maybe I had the plugs in loose.

Well after 2 more trips I had the same situation, enough water in the hulls to hear it sloshing when moving the trailer.

The hulls have a few tiny scratches on the bottom from beaching on gravel and sand, no big deep gashes or anything crazy. all the hardware on the back seems ok, all the screws are tight etc etc, the O rings on the plugs seem fine, though even from the very start they are hard to screw in, I kinda get nervous about breaking the little handle on them when trying to snug them down.

Is this normal?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1 Cup of water per hull after 2 to 5 days of sailing is nothing to be concerned about. Your boat is fine. That's why the hulls come with drain plugs.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The access ports under the seat pads tend to let some water seep in. The factory seals them with hot-melt glue, which holds for a while; but nothing sticks to these hulls forever, especially with flexing from use.

Like srm said, a cup is nothing to worry about; the boat will still float even full. But you don't want the extra weight slowing you down. You'll begin to notice when the boat feels heavy and needs draining.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Also, don't overtighten the drain plugs. Keep them clean and snug should be enough.

cramsailing.com