Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Picked on up in Austin today.

Drove up there 2 hours, got the boat, drove back 2 hours.. put it together one time in the yard to learn how to do it, then hauled ass to the lake and got an hour in before the dark ran me off.

Setting up the AI for the first time was really easy. But I need some suggestions on a few things..

1: where on the boat do you put the dagger board when you are not using it?

2: Any tips on managing the halyard and the roll/reef line? I notice I cannot easily cleat off the roll/reef line when using the mirage drive, my big ass feet are in the way.

3: The boat came with 2 mysterious cap/knob looking things in the small parts bag, they are not mentioned on the parts list and there is no refrence to them, I cannot figure out what they are for.

4: is there a knob, or some sort of attachment that screws into the rudder control? I notice there is threaded hole there for something.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Congrats on your AI, I purchased mine a couple of months ago and am having a lot of fun with it. I'll offer my $.02, but there's a lot more experienced folks out there who may be more helpful!

1. I keep the daggerboard behind me when not in use, always leashed, when used or not.
2.The main sheet line I keep tended in my right hand, furling line to left, I relocated the furling cam cleat to the left side of aka bar to make lines easier, imo, to manage. The spare furling line I just cleat off in the up rudder cleat so it's out of way.
3. The 'cap looking things' are the scupper plugs. Never saw a need for them!
4. An optional knob can be screwed in there. I made my own, others have attached a tiller extension into it.

A lot of great advice, ideas and mods here. I'm learning something new all the time!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi wingnut. Congrats on your purchase. I knocked up this youtube ages ago in my concerted effort to get less congested in the cockpit with all the gear we need. This may help explain where I keep my Daggerboard. Note that this was on a 2007 model prior to the new side handles and tramps.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-kYFvY5aa8[/youtube]

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great stuff, that is exactly what I was looking for, very ingenious idea there with the lines.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on your new boat!

Here's a picture of my daggerboard holder.

and a picture of the permanent loop in my sheetline with the reefing line tied to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Interesting the idea of tieing the lines together to form a big loop, think I will try that today.