Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I currently own a Adventure Island and a Adventure Kayak the Adventure kayak I have ordered the conversion kit to make it into an island. My question is this the current island that I own has the big latest rudder on it. I have only used it once but I found that when it was really flying at almost a 90 degree angle to the wind that the rudder control is hard to manage if you are trying to hold the rudder control it pushes back pretty darn hard and after a while my wrist and fingers start to cramp. I am 52 and I find it very hard to manage so I ordered a knob the you screw into the end of the rudder control I have not tried it yet and probaly will not until until it warms up in a couple of months. The big question is this next week my conversion kit is coming in for my other kayak it is a plain adventure. The current rudder that I have on the kayak is the middle size one. My understanding is on the Adventure there are three rudders, the stock one, the medium size one which is what I currently have on the Adventure and the giant sailing rudder. I was thinking is the middle size rudder big enough to steer the kayak? The conversion kit is coming in with the giant rudder and I thought I would add the whole kit and just keep the medium size rudder? Will this rudder do the job? This kayak will be for my wife and her wrist are even weaker than mine. Or if anyone has any suggestions on how to get some of the push back pressure on rudder down please let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are having to fight against the rudder, you have the sail pulled in too hard. This is true of any sailboat. Ideally, you should be able to let go of the rudder when travelling in a straight line, though this can be a bit hard to achieve in practice. Any time you are pulling hard on the rudder, you are slowing the boat, which is like applying the brakes in a car while keeping your foot on the accelerator. Easing off on the mainsheet, or furling the sail, is the equivalent of taking your foot off the accelerator .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Make sure the rudder is ALL the way down.

Mine was had really bad weather helm when I first got it, under a good puff I couldn't stop it from turning up wind. Sailed it half a day like that before I found out the rudder was only 3/4 of the way down.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It sounds like your rudder is not LOCKED in the down position. Be sure it is absolutely down tight against your transom. Here is a link showing the correct position: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=35376

Cleat it in that down position.

BTW, do you have the new rudder shown in the link or the older twist-n-stow rudder?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Butch lafargue wrote:
The big question is this next week my conversion kit is coming in for my other kayak it is a plain adventure. The current rudder that I have on the kayak is the middle size one. My understanding is on the Adventure there are three rudders, the stock one, the medium size one which is what I currently have on the Adventure and the giant sailing rudder. I was thinking is the middle size rudder big enough to steer the kayak? The conversion kit is coming in with the giant rudder and I thought I would add the whole kit and just keep the medium size rudder? Will this rudder do the job? This kayak will be for my wife and her wrist are even weaker than mine. Or if anyone has any suggestions on how to get some of the push back pressure on rudder down please let me know.

The conversion kit should include a sailing rudder, which should be the same as the sailing rudder on your 'plain Adventure'. The newer larger rudder on your AI, which I assume is an '11 or '12 model, is standard and will not fit on the older model Adventures. Check the stern, the newer AI's will have a different design with a larger gudgeon, rudder and rudder pin than the older models. If your 'plain Adventure' is an '11 or '12 model, you can order the larger gudgeon and larger rudder. From what I've heard, the larger rudder is a nice improvement on the AI, but not necessary. However on the TI it is.
As others have posted, it sounds like your rudder is not cleated down.
Good luck with the conversion. Cut your mast hole carefully, you can always remove more material, can't add it back though!

I was going to do the conversion to my '11 Adventure and add the larger gudgeon and rudder, but was able to get a good deal on a leftover '11 AI, so I opted to buy the AI and sell the Adventure.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guys, I've experienced the T&S rudder becoming less responsive when it's not cleated down, but never it presenting excessive resistance (from not being cleated down). Is this a characteristic of the new model rudder?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the responses. I should of been more clear both the adventure island and the adventure are both 2011 models. The island has the giant rudder and it is the one that has the strong rudder control push. The plain adventure that am fixing to convert has the medium size rudder. I am still waiting on the conversion to come in and I think it is coming with the giant rudder? Maybe it comes with the mid size I am not sure. Is the mid size big enough to steer the adventure when I convert it to an island? Also to everyone I put the big rudder down but I did not cleat it down but it looked down whenever I glanced back so maybe cleating it is the answer. The sail was tight but I did not feel it was that tight I will trying backing it off a hair. And one last question I have a several mirage drives with the turbo fins one set seems easier to peddle than the other ones any suggestions or hints on why? Thanks again for all the help.

Butch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Butch lafargue wrote:
And one last question I have a several mirage drives with the turbo fins one set seems easier to peddle than the other ones any suggestions or hints on why? Thanks again for all the help.
Butch

The clew may be too tight on the fins which are more difficult to pedal. Here's Roadrunner's classic post on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10176&p=53038

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChrisJ--I only remember one time when I had heavy weather-cocking, and much "thumb pressure" on the rudder handle. It was with the twist-n-stow rudder not cleated down. I've had 1-2 other times when I could not steer properly, which were due to the rudder not being cleated--also t-n-s rudder.

Size of new vs t-n-s rudders? When I replaced my t-n-s sailing rudder with the new rudder, I compared their size--I thought they were almost identical in size. Am I wrong?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Butch lafargue wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. I should of been more clear both the adventure island and the adventure are both 2011 models. The island has the giant rudder and it is the one that has the strong rudder control push. The plain adventure that am fixing to convert has the medium size rudder. I am still waiting on the conversion to come in and I think it is coming with the giant rudder? Maybe it comes with the mid size I am not sure. Is the mid size big enough to steer the adventure when I convert it to an island? Also to everyone I put the big rudder down but I did not cleat it down but it looked down whenever I glanced back so maybe cleating it is the answer. The sail was tight but I did not feel it was that tight I will trying backing it off a hair. And one last question I have a several mirage drives with the turbo fins one set seems easier to peddle than the other ones any suggestions or hints on why? Thanks again for all the help.

Butch

Butch
The Conversion kit will come with the 'mid size rudder', actually referred to as the large sailing rudder, it's the same one as on your plain '11 Adventure. This rudder will be fine to steer and control your Adventure after you add the conversion kit. Being you'll be able to compare both the '11 AI, with the bigger rudder, and the 'converted Adventure', with the sailing rudder; you'll be able to make the decision if you want to further upgrade the 'converted Adventure' with the bigger AI/TI rudder replacement kit. I think the total cost for the replacement kit parts are about $160 (Rudder Replacement Kit, part# 88991098 & Gudgeon, part# 88991094).

The conversion kit does not come with turbo fins, so if you don't have them on your 'plain Adventure', you may want to consider upgrading to them. Also the conversion kit comes with the V1 Aka bars, they're a different design then the V2's on your '11 AI.

Yes, cleating down the rudder will make a difference. I only uncleat it when coming into shallow conditions. The clew/cable adjustments and lubrication will affect drive performance and should always be checked before use.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob,
Thanks for the help are the v-1's better or worse than the v-2's aka's? what are the differences do you know? From now on I will be a cleating fool!!!!!!

Butch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't know which are better, I've only had experience with the V2's.
I was able to get out today, nice, gusts to 18knts, temps around 35! :D