Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outboard on an 18
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i own a Hobie 18 and would like to put a 2HP outboard on it. Any ideas how to do this?Thanks, Kes

Post subject: Re: Outboard on an 18
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

cheetah motor mount would be the best way.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've got one of those on my 18. The block that flips up and down is a bit stiff to move, but it works. I'd sell it if you want it.

Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,
We did a 3 week trip around Corsica( the Med) with my 18. I mounted a 2,5 hp Mercury.
I used an old, inverted front beam, welded a aluminium support on it, covered that with "insulating" wooden multiplex and fixed this halfway between the rear beam and the end of the boat. Fastened it on the lips where the upper deck is glued to the under deck, a bit like the shrouds are attached. I did have to modify the length of the rudderstick.

I have a very good photograph of it but I cannot seem to upload it on the forum...pity, I suppose its my JPEG that conflicts ??
Good luck,
Michel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You need to host the photo on some online place like photobucket or whatever you prefer. Then it's a snap.
I'd love to see what you came up with.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,
Just back from being away :wink:
Here you have the set up. I had quite a few other mods made on my boat : we sailed for three weeks round Corsica in total autonomy. Everything we needed was on board of our HC 18 : I had to increase storage possibilitys...
If you want other ideas let me know !
Michel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Europeguy wrote:
Hi,
Just back from being away :wink:
Here you have the set up. I had quite a few other mods made on my boat : we sailed for three weeks round Corsica in total autonomy. Everything we needed was on board of our HC 18 : I had to increase storage possibilitys...
If you want other ideas let me know !
Michel

Do you have wings? What did you do to store your gear? I used drybags on the front of the tramp, and I stuck whatever fit in the 5" ports.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,
Well, we did not go for the dry bags, we used watertanks in polypropyleen (sweet water tanks used on yachts) they are tough and light. We mounted these on aluminum tubes fixed on polyster "pads". The pads follow the shape of the deck.
Here some pictures
[url]Image[/url]
[url][/url]Image
I installed a forward trampoline. I could not imagine our boat trip without it !!
[url]Image[/url]
Yes we had wings : these were indispensable to make a long trip : the level of comfort alone ! (and I stored my spear gun under it...)
A few more mods : we are able to raise or lower the main on the water (so NO hook) + the main could be reefed to a very small sail area (safety !). With all the gear on board flying a hull was not an option !
Safety tip number one : carry an outboard !
Michel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I lost my last post in the ether somewhere...

I'm keenly interested in details of your boat and trip! I did the T200 in '08 on my H 18 and didn't much enjoy the lack of comfort the 18 provided. Yours, on the other hand, looks like a H21SC in miniature. Tell me more about your front tramp, storage compartments, and the reefing in particular.

Here's Brian and I in '08
And in '09 with my Hobie 18/ Tamanu outrigger canoe hull mashup in '09.
Notice how little stuff is on the deck o fthe Tamanu cat. It just swallowed it up!

I'd love to see how you put together your front tramp, storage ideas and specific details about your reefing. Anything else about your trip would be really interesting as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,

Has anyone tried a Torqeedo electric outboard on an H18?

http://www.torqeedo.com/?id=293&L=2

Cheers,

Zubie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Europeguy,

I am very interested in a detailed description of how you have your boat rigged with plenty of pictures along with a description of a typical day on your trip.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,
Some info regarding the set-up of our boat Mana, an 18 magnum, and how this magic trip evolved. + pictures....
As STGEAN said our 18 was very much inspired by the HC21 SC, a lot of the mods we directly copied from its design (don't re-invent what already works is my motto)
So here come some basic modifications :
1. We raised the boom by half a meter: I copied the boom set-up, but put it higher up. That was to make the space on the trap much more comfortable (it surely was) We have a magnum mast and consequently put a regular 18 sail up so it would fit the higher boom.
2. Our sailmaker put 3 reefing possibilities on the sail (always keep this in mind with my modifications : speed was NOT of the essence, safety was(although I am avid trapeze sailor ( I often take the 18 out alone and go on the trapeze on the wings) I removed the trapeze wires to avoid being tempted)) We wanted to be able to downsize the sail to very very small.(and still be able to steer the boat to safety)
Go to next post....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

continued :
3. What was crucial to safety was the ability to lower the sail ON the water. I removed the hook system and replaced the masthead with a system with two sheaves : a lot like the HC16 masthead actually.The sail was held in place by a simple violin block & clamp at tramp level. Obviously downhaul power was not what it could be with the hook system (it need 'nt be...)
4. Image
Here a view again of the watertight boxes. I hope the picture says enough of how the set was made (very cheaply !!)
5. I installed a front tramp : one of the best mods we added. I used a type of white tramp that could lose water very fast but was still very comfortable to walk (and lay) on. It was fastened at the side by the same alu track for the back tramp, I now have mounted a 18 boom with plastic eyes in front (instead of the simple alu tube on the trip) The back was supported by a rope fastened to the mast base.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

6. The outboard: absolutely essential on our Corisica trip ! The second landing we made on the tiny Piana island was almost a disaster:from far off the small beach looked sandy but when we got closer we got enclosed by rocks to the left and right but were unable to slow down with sail still up. We decide NEVER again to land with the sails up. (it helped us get us into several marina's to...)
A safe but scary landing
We had our food, clothing and tent in the watertight boxes. Each night we set up camp (preferably on a by-land-inaccessibly beach)
We sailed the south & south west coast of Corsica, Here going trough the impressive straits of Bonifacio (separating Corsica from Sardinia)
Bonifacio town on its white cliffs
Watch those rocks !!
Dawn at Palombaggia
Our voyage was truly an adventure and I carry its memory's for ever.
I encourage everybody to make a trip (in the mind as well as on the wide sea)

If you want details of certain mods let me know !
Michel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'd like to know how you fastened your front beam to allow your front tramp to be adequately tightened. Any detail shots?