Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This has been a long time coming but I wanted to share how I have been handling my TI. If you have a small pickup you do not need a trailer to enjoy your TI. I went all out on my Toyota Tacoma short bed truck to get the functionality and look that I wanted.

Here is the setup I use on a day to day basis. Since I carry surfboards and also spend time in low clearance parking garages I went with a Thule 422XT rack system that I can lower when in surfboard mode or in a parking structure.

I raise the rear rack bars and remove the surfboard pad. Then I strap on my super-duper removeable hobie cradle to the forward most Toyota roofrack bar. I can add that on here for anyone that is curious or in need of a similar solution. (velcro straps that attach to the cradle and some alum extrusion that I customized to mate with the double curve of the Toyota roof rack)

This gives me 67" between the most forward support and the middle. I leave the middle Hobie cradle on all time it is not easily removeable. (Stainless hardware & T-bolts). There was quite a bit of hacksawing of the vertical supports to the Thule rack to get the desired height but it looks stock and works great. (Wheel well is in the way on the shortbed truck so I shortened it by 6 inches and I cut a new groove to have it match the height of the forward cradle) Very easy to do with a standard hacksaw and clean up with a file.

The rear most support I added later and am glad I did. The kayak is very solid when supported in three places.

I cannot lower this bar low enough to use in getting the yak up there so I made it removeable with wing nuts.

Here is the setup on the truck ready to receive the boat.

This is the approach. I will bring the kayak up to the rear of the truck and rest it on top of the surf pad with the tailgate up as shown. My truck is stock height and the dimensions are just right to use the rear scupper holes and the wheel cart.

Now its time to go get the Kayak in the backyard and tie up the dogs so they dont go running after the mailman! (next post for part two)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Part two...

I store my Kayak upside down on a homemade frame and keep it covered. I have a small backyard and to manuvre it around I use the middle scupper holes because it is so well balanced.

But to make it easy to get it on the truck it I need to put the scupper cart in the rear holes. I try to do this on a soft surface like sand or grass.

Now she is ready to go up on the truck. I have a narrow sideyard in which the boat just fits so I walk it down. In Hawaii a lot of the beach access points are narrow too so I am used to hoofing it to the water this way. Not a problem!

Its more difficult to align the boat with the scupper cart in the rear so I take my time.

Then with the bow "T" handle I lift the front up and rest it on the tailgate.

Once its lined up on the middle rack, which it seems to automatically do, it slides easily into place. I can push it around with one hand when its on the two cradles. I line those up with the mirage drive openings and re-install the rear rack crossbar.

(EDITED - added the next two pics)

Next post - strapping it down

Last edited by Tiki Tack on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

part three strapping it down.

I am paranoid about my stuff so strapping things down securely is high on my list. I use DaKine brand Baja Heavy Duty Roof Straps to hold the hull to the rack in two places. (Someone is up already and wondering what Daddy is doing)

Then I go get the amas and put them up. (Check my new bad ass canoe paddle, all I can say is once you go here you never go back to kayak paddles again when in the rear position)

I use light gauge ratcheting tie-down for the amas and strap them up like so. Note routing around the aka X-bar and through the ama handle!

They attach to the Toyota roof rack base which has some metal attach loops.

Almost ready...

I strap the sail to the aka crossbars with bungees...

Time to wake up the family and hit the ocean!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tiki Tack,
It never ceases to impress me, the determination, hard work, and creativity that we employ, to adapt and construct by whatever means available, the necessary equipment that enables us to further enjoy our boating experience. Thanks for sharing. Great pictures of your family too. Nice clean work, good job! That ought to hold you for awhile.

Does your truck always look that clean, or did you just get it washed for the photo shoot? :shock:

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This really makes a quad cab truck very attractive.
Can car top a TI without over-exerting yourself.
Just need a new truck and can get a TI and not need a trailer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The quad is really great if you have a family to trek around. I personally like the king cab Tacoma better (it has a longer bed) but when my kids started getting bigger I really had no choice. Later I found out that you can special order the quad cab with a long bed!

As far as the cleanlinesss of the truck, Thanks! I try to keep my things in tip top shape.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tiki Tack,
You've really raised the bar (in more ways than one :wink: ) with this post. Excellent info and great pics. 8)
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tiki, great post! I am thinking of purchasing the cradles for a PA I will be getting a a couple of months. I have similar racks that uses tbolts for installation of accessories. How did you install your cradles on your second exporter rack? I am guessing you used tbolts? If so, does any of it stick out of the hole for the bolt?

Also, I like the adapter you used for the front rack. I see you have velcro on it, how did you create the custom adapters? I have a Honda Ridgeline with VanTech Truck Racks.

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

http://vantech.us/pick_up/Special_edition/photo.jpg

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

will it fit to any vehicle? The truck is a Toyota Tundra right? I was thinking of buying a trailer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you have roof rack cross bars that slide fore & aft and a 2" hitch receiver, you should be able to use the system described here, regardless of the type of vehicle. No modification to the vehicle required.

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=40698

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tiki,

You have given me the best idea. I have been on the market for a TI but what holds me back is the trailer. I have a Taco double cab and your method of putting the TI on the roof has been the best I have seen. The only question i have is how easy would this be for a almost 50 years old guy to put it up on the roof? I like the idea of the trailer, but putting the trailer in my garage is almost a no no due to space. I will give this a shot. Great job.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Where are you launching from?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kaneohe bay.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

NHH, I figured out that part, but was wondering where in the bay...looks like somewhere near the coconut island pier maybe?

I'm always looking for new places to launch. The trip back from the sandbar to the MCB can get rough (if you tack up the sampan channel), otherwise it's the long route down by coconut island and back upwind to the base.

Tiki, I load my truck (frontier quad cab) up in a very similar manner- using 3 racks (two Thule x-porters in the bed and a thule rack over the front cab), using canoe saddles instead of the hobie saddle. Instead of taking the rear crossbar off (an elegant solution by the way) I use a loader I built - basically a step I attach to the tailgate that provides and intermediate height that I can lift the boat onto, then slide it up onto the racks. It's still a chore but it allows me to launch nearly anywhere. I don't really have the ability to store a trailer at home, so it's the best for me.

Aloha, RH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe there's a small beach to the right of the Marine Base Marina.

Or it could be Ka Hanahou PL. Very little parking there and a small wall to lift over. Tried it yet?

I fear Tiki may have sold the TI.