Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailering a Pro Angler
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a jet ski type trailer that I use to store my PA but use a truck extender to carry. I previously looked into getting a used aluminum only to find out the arms were not long enough for an angler and an additional kayak.

How are people carrying this type kayak with trailers? Can I purchase just the 86" arm that Hobie has for it's PA kayak seperately? Will this type arm fit on any trailer?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What arms are you referring to? I am trying to visualize what you are asking.

I use an old jet ski trailer to pull my PA around but I am only carrying one boat. If I were to add a second say and outback I would build up so I could stack it on top. Or i would tilt the PA ant an angle and put the second kayak at an angle beside it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a 1940's post WWll 1/4 ton Bantam trailer to haul my PA. I like that the Bantam trailer is rugged enough that it will haul my PA wherever my 4x4 pickup can get to. The trailer has 12" of ground clearance and it is still in great shape even though it is over 60 years old. When I also took a Hobie Outback the trailer was not wide enough for both yaks so I would stack the OB on top of the PA.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've adapted a harbor freight 4x8 kit trailer. Works fine. The tongue is a little short - manuverability-wise. Just got a 12" hitch extender that should help. Whole thing was under $300.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is my current set up. It is a single jet ski trailer that I modified. I use PVC bunks under my PA. I have added a rack to carry a my outback.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The "arms" I am talking about were the support beams or rails on the aluminum Trailex trailers. I was thinking about purchasing the SUT-250 only to find out on this forum that the supports (arms!) would not be long enough to carry two kayaks. I do like the idea's you all have displayed. Gives me a better idea of how to modify to meet my needs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

TroutNoDoubt wrote:
I've adapted a harbor freight 4x8 kit trailer. Works fine. The tongue is a little short - manuverability-wise. Just got a 12" hitch extender that should help. Whole thing was under $300.

Have you used the Harbor Freight trailer in a salt water environment? I am in Florida and will be doing salt water only. Hope to hear it holds up well. Looks good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

No. Fresh water only for me. The frame is just painted steel. Made in China. My guess is that it would not hold up in salt water. I think you'd be better off with a galvanized Skidoo of small boat trailer.

Of course, the HF trailer is so cheap (~$300), it could be considered disposable. Try it and see how it holds up. If it doesn't, just sell it on Craigslist and get a galvanized trailer.

Tight lines!

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

TroutNoDoubt wrote:
No. Fresh water only for me. The frame is just painted steel. Made in China. My guess is that it would not hold up in salt water. I think you'd be better off with a galvanized Skidoo of small boat trailer.

Of course, the HF trailer is so cheap (~$300), it could be considered disposable. Try it and see how it holds up. If it doesn't, just sell it on Craigslist and get a galvanized trailer.

Tight lines!

Bob

This is pretty much my thinking. I have time to look for a trailer since I don't have the boat yet but have decided after much shopping and debate to hold out for a PA rather than buy something lesser now. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is my trailer, utility trailer with 2x4's mounted then covered with indoor/outdoor carpet and circle boats on the ends for tie downs.

http://www.thehobielife.blogspot.com

AFTCO, Kanan Lures, Astral Buoyancy and Alltackle.com Pro Staff
2012 Yellow Pro Angler 12 and 2014 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CB Kayak 02 wrote:

This is my trailer, utility trailer with 2x4's mounted then covered with indoor/outdoor carpet and circle boats on the ends for tie downs.

And it trailers 2 PA's with room to spare ............ Matt and I went to CBBT with it and it worked great

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've never owned a Hobie and am considering buying the PA. I see by the pics that there are a couple of examples of trailers with 2 bar supports under the yak. Has this been exceptable to you guys during long drives. My rack is on top of the car and I have 2 bars approx 27" apart. Does my rack sound exceptable considering the weight of the PA?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

rebooted wrote:
I've never owned a Hobie and am considering buying the PA. I see by the pics that there are a couple of examples of trailers with 2 bar supports under the yak. Has this been exceptable to you guys during long drives. My rack is on top of the car and I have 2 bars approx 27" apart. Does my rack sound exceptable considering the weight of the PA?

Roof racks work just fine in my opinion. I think most PA guys choose the trailer because it is easier to unload and load back up! I've put my PA on my roof rack of my chevy trailblazer and have had zero issues.

http://www.thehobielife.blogspot.com

AFTCO, Kanan Lures, Astral Buoyancy and Alltackle.com Pro Staff
2012 Yellow Pro Angler 12 and 2014 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

GREAT !!!!!.......... Thanks for the feed back. Since I travel so much in order to fish (and the cost to do so) I have been transporting all gear by car. It was a transition at first but has turned out very well. I've fished the U14.5 Propel for a while but after studying the specs and just watching the forums and videos I've become very interested in the PA. All I wanted was a big water / rough water yak as an alternative but the PA may take the place as my primary yak. It will just need to ride side by side on top of my 300 with another of mine or a fishing buddy. If they keep making kayaks bigger and heavier we're going to need to be able to install an outboard!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

raginjrob wrote:
Here is my current set up. It is a single jet ski trailer that I modified. I use PVC bunks under my PA. I have added a rack to carry a my outback.

How did you attach the rack to the trailer? I am considering a single jet ski trailer but want to be able to add a rack similar to that when the time comes.