Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trailer for TI
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does the tandem island fit on the single hobie trailex trailer or would I have to buy the double trailer ? If it does fit, does it do ok without the special TI cradles ?

thanks for your help.

Post subject: Re: trailer for TI
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The TI works on the TI trailer - part # 38652001 ($1311.00)
The 'single trailer # 38652000 is intended for Single Islands and Pro Anglers - the TI trailer is based on Trailex's popular 350 SUT model and has a capacity of 350lbs - while the smaller 200 S, handles only 200lbs which is a little on the light side and is only 15ft long - but perfect for Island and Pro Anglers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, any idea where I can buy the e TI trailer - part # 38652001 online ?
I find the single and the double 2201, but not this one and I don't live anywhere near a dealer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://www.austinkayak.com/ did well for some of us in Hawaii, even with cheap shipping charges.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't see that offered online at Austin,at least not on their regular web site catalog.. I can find a Trailex 350 S a few places. What modifications would I have to make to that ?

Thanks for replying, it's a lot of money and I want to make sure I get it right.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try calling them. They were very helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

oldnewbie wrote:
I don't see that offered online at Austin,at least not on their regular web site catalog..

Click the "Contact Us" link on AUSTIN KAYAK's site, then ask them for a quote for Hobie Part #38652001.

They will then send you a reply with the price and a customized link that will allow you to order it. This is the same for any Hobie part that they don't list on their site.

oldnewbie wrote:
I can find a Trailex 350 S a few places. What modifications would I have to make to that ?

THIS POST details some modifications that sun E sailor has made to his Trailex 350.

There is also an issue with chafing between the hull and amas while trailering. Some fixes are offered HERE.

The only think I can think of that you would have to do is purchase the Hobie TI cradles. SES and I opted for three cradles instead of two which requires and extra crossmember and fittings. If you are happy with two cradles, the Hobie offering is probably cheaper than purchasing a 350 and the cradle set.

The Hobie 350 was not available when we put these trailers together. One may be able to get the extra crossmember from Trailex if you wanted to add a third cradle to it.

Edit: Just remembered, you also would need new crossmembers as the TI cradles will NOT work on the crossmembers that come with a Trailex 350.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I contacted Austin Kayak twice in past two days about obtaining the single TI trailer ( hobie # 38652001).

The first time they guided be to the single AI carrier (38652000). The customer rep told me that did fine with the TI. Does it ?

I tried again today and emailed them asking for a quote for 38652001 again.

They responded by quoting me for the double trailer 38652200.

Either they do not carry the correct trailer or don't want to special order it.

Very frustrating.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have several dealers on the Hawaiian Islands - no need to go online to buy anything. Not sure why Austin is having a hard time answering this - we'll need to let them know we have another trailer now - their website is based on last year's info. Thanks for letting us know.

To find a dealer near you (on the islands) click our dealer finder here: http://www.hobiecat.com/support/dealers/search/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've never read a report of a problem using the single trailer for the TI. Bluehen uses his to transport his TI back and forth from Delaware to Florida and has never reported any problem.

OTOH, the TI is listed @ 190 pounds rigged and the single trailer is only rated for 200 pounds. If you add a spare tire and mount, you are maxed out as far as the rating goes. I wanted to add a PVC mast carrier as SES did and it is rather heavy, so the standard single trailer was not an option for me.

I have had perfect service from ACK, two orders being custom orders. I would call them and ask to speak to a supervisor and explain to them that this is a recent addition to the Hobie lineup and is the trailer that Hobie now recommends for the TI.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jbernier wrote:
We have several dealers on the Hawaiian Islands - no need to go online to buy anything. Not sure why Austin is having a hard time answering this - we'll need to let them know we have another trailer now - their website is based on last year's info. Thanks for letting us know.

To find a dealer near you (on the islands) click our dealer finder here: http://www.hobiecat.com/support/dealers/search/
We have some great dealers here, P&P Kayaks & Windward Boats, but the shipping cost of ordering the Hobie trailers to Hawaii are so high, that it's much cheaper to order from a mainland dealer and have it shipped, then it is for them to order it for us and make almost no money on it. I wonder if some of the mainland dealers pickup their own trailer orders from the Trailex factory or order enough to get a much lower shipping cost.

My double TI trailer was a few hundred dollars to ship from the Trailex factory to California to join the rest of my Hobie TI order, to then go into the dealer's container to ship to Hawaii. Most people here are now encouraged to order other (less expensive to ship) brands of trailers that may not be as good.

Austin offered (at least 6 months ago) list price for the trailer, but $50 shipping ANYWHERE in the US (all 50 states). Hard to beat, and leaves more money to order more Hobie accessories (that our dealers actually make money with) from our local dealers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The single trailers are cheaper to ship than the double (because of the number of boxes and the weight)
All of our Trailers ship via fed ex ground service normally - and they all leave the same spot (Ohio) - I'm sure that we can have them sent direct via some type of service, and not need the added complication of adding it to a container of boats - I imagine that your dealer did this to share freight charges, but it takes more time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your help. I contacted Austin again and can now get it special ordered. One more important question,,,, what is the width and length of the 38652001 single TI trailer ? Can I store the TI on the trailer ?

I want to make sure I can fit it what passes for my garage.

Thanks for your patience, old newbies can be a pain, but my wife saw a Hobie sail by where we fish and went ape over it.

What is an old newbie to do ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The trailer will be 48" wide - for the length you have the boat - which is 18ft - plus about a 2 foot of tongue.
Yes - you can 'store' the TI on the trailer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In February of 2011, when I ordered a trailer for the 2010 leftover TI I was purchasing, there was no part #38652001 in the Hobie accessory catalog. What I got was the 200 lb. capacity #38652000. It's a Trailex SUT-200-S, with a pair of 48" wide crossbars to which the Hobie TI cradles are attached. You'll see it on page 28 of the current accessories catalog, where the fitted {not for towing use] cover is being illustrated.

As noted by Herbaldew, it has made the approximately 1200 mile trip from Delaware to south Florida with no problem. That being said, the 350 lb. capacity unit they are selling for the TI now is probably "better"... depending on how much room you have to store it. According to the Trailex site, the SUT-350-S is 18'6" long, or exactly the same length as the TI. If you have that much room at floor level in your garage, you can certainly store the TI on the trailer.

Personally, I'm very happy with the SUT-200-S version because it is only 15'2" long, and floor space in our townhouse garage is at a premium. We store the TI hull suspended from a Harken Hoister, upside down, close to the garage ceiling [so it is above the garage door when it's open].

IF the SUT-350 came with larger diameter wheels, I'd say that you should definitely go for it, as they would be turning fewer RPMs at a given speed. According to the Trailex site, however, the wheels are the same [8"] on both models.